Art Club goes to Jackson’s Orchard

By Madison Phillips, Writer/Editor

img_0069-1On October 13th, the GHS Art Club as well as the Art I class embarked on their yearly field trip, this year’s destination being WKU and Jackson’s Orchard.
At WKU, Professor Brent Didas gave the group a preview of ‘drawing boot camp,’ what the first week of class would be like. This exercise teaches students to focus on the important things in a still life, the big picture and general shapes. “Most students are too focused on detail, and leave out important contours and objects because of it, ignoring the big picture,” Didas stated.
After this demonstration, students toured the Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center, which houses all the art majors and minors one could take at WKU. The center provides a metalworking forge, an opportunity to paint frescos just as the Renaissance greats once did, and a student hosted gallery that allows students to experience what it’s like to set up and present their work in a professional setting.
At Jackson’s Orchard, the students were encouraged to hone their skills of observation and gather references for future projects.
As always, the field trip was a blast for all involved, providing inspiration and passing on new skills to a new generation of artists.