The Warming Tree
View All

He is Vengeance! He is the Night! He is Batman!

Billionaire by day, Caped Crusader by night, Batman is one of culture’s most iconic characters. Whether it has been through TV, comics, video games, toys, or even paper cups, almost all have had a run-in with the Dark Knight. 

Bruce Wayne became the crime-fighting, mystery-solving, cape-wearing vigilante known as Batman after being orphaned during a burglary. From the Batmobile he drives to the Batarangs he throws, or his vast count of recognizable foes, Batman is known for many things. Gotham’s Guardian means more than just a flashy car, cool gadgets, or arguably the best rogues gallery to fans. Owen Adams, a sophomore at Greenwood High School says it best: “I feel he’s supposed to represent how people need hope in times of despair.”

Would it be a surprise to know that this beloved hero even has his own day? Batman Day is celebrated globally on the third Saturday of September. This day falls on September 16th, 2023. This is a day to commemorate the first appearance, the history of the character, along with the fandom of the character. Select cinemas have rereleased The Dark Knight (2008) this past Saturday to join in on the celebration. Various TV channels will also play the numerous Batman movies that have been released for fans to enjoy. With the countless box office appearances by the Bat, a common question is brought from the shadows: What is the best Batman movie? 

Since his initial appearance on comic pages in 1939, Batman has made a multitude of live-action appearances. The World’s Greatest Detective would appear for the first time on screen in Batman (1943). This 15-part television serial stars Lewis Wilson as Batman and Douglas Croft as Batman’s sidekick, Robin. The most recent iteration of the character was portrayed by Robert Pattinson in The Batman (2022). In between these films, many have worn the cowl and cape to tell stories of the Dark Knight. This rankings list will only include live-action, full-length movies where Batman is the main protagonist. This eliminates movies such as Justice League and The Flash. 

1. Batman and Robin (1997)

With the return of director Joel Schumacher also meant the return of the zaniness found in Batman Forever. Due to scheduling conflicts with Val Kilmer, George Clooney was recast as Bruce Wayne. Chris O’Donnell returns as the Boy Wonder and since then, Batman’s trusty sidekick would not make another appearance on the big screen (which is largely due to the reception of this movie). Besides that, Uma Thurman is Poison Ivy, Robert Swenson is Bane, and Alicia Silverstone is Batgirl. Oh, Arnold Schwarzenegger is also Mr. Freeze, practically breathing cheesy one-liners that are about ice in his Austrian accent. Unlike the previous movies, the characters contain no depth. Batman and Robin had trouble identifying a tone, fighting between jokes that did not land and dark tones from previous movies fragmented throughout. It is not all bad, Schumacher clearly had a vision for his Gotham City and more of that eye-catching scenery is pictured throughout the film. George Clooney would go on and make a cameo as Bruce Wayne in the universe-jumping story, The Flash (2023). 

1. Batman (1966)

Holy smoke Batman! Starring Adam West as the Caped Crusader, this film follows the formula established in the show of the same name. The movie follows Batman and Robin as they try to stop Joker, Catwoman, Riddler, and the Penguin from taking over the world. With a campier, dare to say, cheesy take on the character, Batman (1966) is still a blast with many iconic elements. 

1. Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

DC’s response to Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War is a drawn-out start to what will become a poorly received franchise. Like Captain America: Civil War, Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice follows what happens when our favorite heroes do not play nice together. With a wasted cast of Henry Cavill as Superman, Ben Affleck as Batman, and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, the movie picks up where Man of Steel (2013) left off. Even though the movie drags, and has trouble identifying its villain, along with containing a scattered plot, a lot of good has come from the film. After this release, Wonder Woman (2017) released and to this day is one of the best-received superhero movies. Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice also gives us an outstanding rendition of the Dark Knight and one of the most anticipated fight scenes in cinematic history. Ben Affleck would get his final farewell for his portrayal in The Flash (2023). 

1. Batman Begins (2005)

The first film of Christopher Nolan’s trilogy is an outstanding story and starts with what will become a legendary series. Bruce Wayne, now played by Christian Bale, trains with the League of Shadows and returns to Gotham to become the Batman. This film brought a much grittier view of the character to the screen, a style that would be continued since. This would mark the first time the origin of Batman would be explored on the big screen.

1. Batman Forever (1995)

Following Tim Burton’s Batman (1989) and Batman Returns (1992), Joel Schumacher reimagines what Burton established, while keeping a sense of continuity. Due to creative differences, Tim Burton left the third installment of Batman movies. Michael Keaton would follow Burton, opening the role to the famed Val Kilmer. Though not perfect, Batman Forever is underrated. Val Kilmer gives a great performance, the movie gave us Jim Carrey as Riddler (a casting to this day is still mind-blowing), and Chris O’Donnell joins as Robin. Batman and Robin’s relationship in this movie is surprisingly good. Scenes in the movie even feel like something one might see on the panels of a comic book. 

1. Batman Returns (1992)

In the sequel to Batman (1989), both Tim Burton and Michael Keaton return in a captivating second installment to the franchise. This movie carries over the dark tones from the first, along with much of what made the first so enjoyable. Danny Devito joins as the Penguin and Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman. Batman Returns is sadly the last taste of what Tim Burton’s DC universe would have been. A Catwoman movie with Michelle Pfeiffer was planned and a third Batman movie was planned where Billy Dee Williams would return as Two-Face. Instead, audiences would receive Catwoman (2004) and Batman Forever in their places with the departure of Burton and Keaton. 

1. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

The final installment to Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises brings a satisfying end to this version of the character. Following The Dark Knight (2008), Batman must return from his exile after the villain Bane, played by Tom Hardy, enters Gotham. The movie follows the more realistic mood set by the previous movies. Nolan did something unique. He showed how Batman started and how he ended, something not done before in previous Batman franchises. 

1. Batman (1989)

Batman (1989) is the first time Batman has seen the big screen since 1966. Directed by Tim Burton, the film would go on to shape superhero movies for years to come. Michael Keaton, though criticized originally for, plays Bruce Wayne a.k.a. Batman. The movie follows the Dark Knight as he tries to stop the Joker, played by Jack Nicholson, from taking over Gotham. From the music score by Danny Elfman to the visuals, Batman (1989) is a sensory overload. This film also brought the dark, eerie version of Batman to cinema audiences for the first time, something every film after would incorporate. Michael Keaton would go on to come back as his version of Batman in the recent release of The Flash (2023).

1. The Batman (2022)

In the latest reboot of the character, Robert Pattinson makes an applause-worthy performance of the Caped Crusader. The Batman follows a young Bruce Wayne, new to being a masked vigilante, as he tries to solve a mystery of murders and crimes being committed over Gotham. This version of the character focuses on the constantly missed detective aspect of Batman, he isn’t the World’s Greatest Detective for nothing. This film also takes a much more grounded approach to the story. A sequel is in the works and is currently dated for 2025. 

1. The Dark Knight (2008)

The best Batman movie has to go to Christopher Nolan’s second installment of his trilogy. From the storytelling, the performances, risks, action sequences, and scenes that make you want to leap from your seat, The Dark Knight accomplishes the most when it comes to superhero movies. Christian Bale returns as Bruce Wayne with an improved suit since Batman Begins (2005). This film follows the Dark Knight as he and Gotham Police try to stop the clown criminal, the Joker. Heath Ledger plays the Clown Prince of Crime for an Oscar-winning performance, who pushes Batman to his breaking point of morality for the first time. This film fully brings the viewer into what makes Batman so great. 

Even though the Batman movies can greatly shape how one perceives Batman, these films are not the only way people enjoy the character. Batman has several animated movies, video games, and comic lines that fans enjoy. Reese Noall, freshman, gives an example exclaiming, “I like the LEGO Batman because he is more entertaining than the other Batmans.” LEGO has made a few movies and video games with Batman and DC Comics characters that are often set around the fun aspects of the characters and the silliness of superheroes. One of the contributing factors as to why Batman is so enjoyable is because of the heap of iterations the character has. There is a version of Batman out there for everyone. 

Even though Batman is a fictional character who dresses up in a bat costume and fights crime, he has shaped and touched the spirits of many fans. He inspires people. The difference with Batman is that he’s a regular human. He does not have Kryptonian powers, super speed, or a magic green ring. Instead, he utilizes his intelligence to do incredible feats. He is an example to never give up and to be one’s best self. Will Fowlkes, who grew up with the character, thinks, “He’s a symbol of what a true man should be like.” Even outside of his fictional world, Batman is a hero to all.