The Warming Tree
View All

A Review on Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Pride+and+Prejudice+Cover+
IMDb
Pride and Prejudice Cover

Get out your popcorn because after this Pride and Prejudice review, you’ll be needing it. Set in the countryside of England during the Victorian era, Pride and Prejudice follows the story of Elizabeth Bennet, the daughter of a middle class man, and Fitzwilliam Darcy, a wealthy landowner. Both have to get over their pride and settle their differences in order for them to truly understand each other. 

The movie has an amazing history and background and was adapted from the novel by Jane Austen. Jane Austen was born on December 16th, 1775 and published her first work Sense and Sensibility when she was 35 in 1810. Austen originally was anonymous, with only the covers on her book saying “By a Lady.”  Austen had written many books in her lifetime. Some of her most famous works are Emma, Persuasion, and Sense and Sensibility, however her most notable works would be Pride and Prejudice. Austen later died on July 18th, 1875 at the age of 42 from an illness. 

Starring in this movie are Kiera Knightly (Elizabeth Bennet) and Matthew Macfadyen (Mr. Darcy). Other notable actors are Jenna Malone (Lydia Bennet), Rupert Friend (George Wickham), and Donald Sutherland (Mr. Bennet). Jenna Malone is known for Johanna Mason in Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Mockingjay 1 & 2. George Friend is known for a number of roles, such as Lieutenant Kurt Kotler in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Prince Albert in The Young Victoria, and Peter Quinn in Homeland. Donald Sutherland is known for his many roles as well, like Hawkeye Pierce in M*A*S*H, President Snow in Hunger Games, and Mr. Harrigan in Mr. Harrigan’s Phone.

The beautifully written script is one of the many things that make it noteworthy. With Joe Wright, Emma Thompson, and Deborah Moggach writing the screenplay, it was inevitably a good one.  The movie perfectly illustrates the fight of feminism Jane Austen originally intended for this movie. With the balance of humor, seriousness, and romance, this movie will surely be one of your favorites.