The Warming Tree
View All

How to Start a Virtual Book Club. 

An intro to a life of wonder and greatness

Introduction:

People have many hobbies such as bicycling, listening to music, reading, and more. Each hobby matches one’s personality and has its uniqueness. What about books? Not many people like reading, and it is something a small majority enjoy. This brings me to the idea of starting this club. 

Idea process:

Virtual clubs tend to need more preparation than in-person clubs. Virtual book clubs need to be thoroughly thought-out, interesting for their members, well-organized, and fun. 

Recruiting members, planning, scheduling, and referring to proper authorities is what begins the virtual book club, along with passion and determination. 

Club process:

Planning and starting the club was tricky because an idea had to be transformed into an actual club. Any nervousness I had was turned into fuel with determination leading the process. 

Knowing how many people needed in the club was easy; More than five, yet less than ten. Online book clubs could become a hassle if too many people joined at once; Although, having too few members would leave the club boring and not conversable. Six to eight members would be enough to discuss and collaborate with others while not having too many distractions.

After interviewing classmates, clubmates, and a couple of teachers, six members officially joined the online book club. The next step was asking Mr. Hatcher if a faculty member could participate in a club and not be considered a sponsor. He replied, “The only time you will need a sponsor is if you want to make it an official Friday club,” and accepted Ms. McGinty as a club member. 

Locating a meeting site: 

Following the process, a website was needed to conduct meetings, and Google Meets was a viable option. Between Zoom and Google Meets, it took less time for Google to load and open a meeting page than it did for Zoom.

Finding a way to contact the members was important; Either their email or phone number had to be collected so getting that information was next. After reaching out to members, their emails and numbers were successfully collected. 

Asking the members for their schedules and free periods is crucial to finding appropriate days and times for meetings. 

Having mock sessions with friends and family is an effective way to practice starting the club meetings since the experience will help coordinate and manage the club. 

Notes and Rules to Members:

Some rules will be included in the club, so it will run smoothly: 

• A notice one day before if you are unable to join
  • Being rude or inappropriate is strictly forbidden

Finally, having fun, collaborating with others, and talking about books while having some refreshments is what the club is all about, so, bring yourself, your book, and favorite drink to the online book club for a great time!

For Any information regarding the book club contact me on:  Amanatallah.Altabbaa@stu.warren.kyschools.us or amanah.ahmad143@gmail.com

Written by: Amanatallah Altabbaa أمانة الله 

Edited by: Nafisa