The Warming Tree
View All

Ask Ms. Bush; She Knows Everything

It was the year 2004 when Greenwood High School was gifted with the knowledgeable Ms. Holly Bush. She is a teacher who has taught a variety of classes throughout her years and she currently teaches Dual Credit College Algebra and AP Statistics. You can find her on the right side of the second floor building with her hair pulled back and a signature cardigan on her shoulders. Although her stature is petite, do not let it fool you! Nothing but wisdom overflows Ms. Bush’s 5 ‘3 body. You’ve probably seen her walking around the halls or you may even know her husband Mr. Bush who is also a teacher at GHS, but have you ever stopped to think “But who is Ms. Bush?”

Well, she comes from a small county in Kentucky called Muhlenberg. Her childhood was nice but a little restricted because of the constant presence of her parents around her. “I had a pretty typical high school experience,” She verbalizes, “The only difference was my parents were teachers at my school. And so, that makes you view school a little different. You can’t get away with much.” Having teachers for parents would be difficult for anybody. Parents being involved with both halves of your life could start to feel a little cramped. However, Ms. Bush says that it also made her experience better. “If I ever needed anything, they were there. Like, if I didn’t get a permission slip signed, I didn’t have to panic because my mom was there.” So Ms. Bush was luckily able to find some light from the situation. But, what about her children?

Jacob Bush is a freshman at GHS and both Mrs. Bush and Mr. Bush, his parents, are teachers in his school environment. It’s pretty full circle. “Expectations are really high for you [when your parents are teachers] and the teachers will be expecting more from you.” He continues to explain, “And if you get in trouble, they can just walk over to your parent’s room” But just like his mom, he found positivity in the rather awkward situation. He says that he enjoys getting to school early and having parents that are educated on the curriculum and can provide him with detailed assistance. He practically has tutors built-in to his parents.

Moving along from childhood, Ms. Bush says that teaching has taught her lots about motherhood as well. Patience is the number 1 thing that her high school students have prepared her for. “In the years you learn that kids don’t always respond the way that you think they will to different prompts and different responses.” She then states, “So you kind of have to step back and think about..when something happens, how are you going to respond and give the right meaning?”

Ms. Bush knows these things all too well as she moves into her 20th year of teaching. However, she didn’t always want to be in the education industry. When she thinks of her origin of passion to become a teacher she says, “I haven’t got it yet!” and then laughs. Ms. Bush actually swore in college that she would never become a teacher! And after observing the amount of time and energy that was taken out of her family of teachers, she did not want to get herself involved in it. “But through jobs/different jobs that I tried doing- the part that I always enjoyed were the trainings, and so I ended up coming back and doing teaching.” Ms. Bush says that teaching was always something she was meant to do, even through the apprehension she had going into it. She says that she just had to push through the difficulty of teaching in the beginning years and knew that it would get easier as she continued.

Based on the connection that Ms. Bush has to her students and neighboring kids around her, she’s clearly doing her job exceptionally well. Cheli Heflin is a freshman at GHS and when you say the name “Ms. Bush” around her, she bursts into excitement. Even though Heflin does not have Ms. Bush as her own math teacher, she goes to Ms. Bush during SWAMP and ESS for extra math tutoring. “Me personally, I love Ms. Bush.” She exclaims, “She just has a really good way of teaching that makes you like, understand it really well. And she’s just like, super nice.” Heflin continues to explain that Ms. Bush has a great way of explaining and even if you don’t understand the math content, she won’t make you feel bad about it. Her welcomeness and genuine efforts to help students is also very commendable in Heflin’s opinion.

At first, Heflin says that she thought Ms. Bush was going to be like all of the other math teachers that don’t explain things thoroughly. She now describes her as her “best friend” that really helps her out. Heflin isn’t the only one that shares a strong affection towards Ms. Bush. In fact, math teachers like Ms. Caldwell, Ms. Proffitt, and Ms. Warren. All dressed up as her for a day they named “National Ms. Bush Day.” The hairstyle and the closed cardigan was all they needed to embody Ms. Bush’s character.

A few fun facts about Ms. Bush is that she loves sports. She played basketball when she was in high school and she and her husband are now the current bowling coaches for Greenwood high’s bowling team. If you’re not very good at bowling, Ms. Bush would say “it’s not about being good, it’s about showing up.” Another fun fact about Ms. Bush is that she has taught every math subject at Greenwood except for Calculus and Pre- Calculus.Overall, the people around Ms. Bush would agree that she is a very kind and attentive person that makes the school experience brighter. If you see her in the halls, give her a wave “hello.” And the next time you have a question, just run along and ask the wise Ms. Bush, she’ll welcome you with open arms.