The Warming Tree
View All

What’s Greenwood High School’s Favorite Sport? 

Greenwood High School has a diverse amount of sports such as football, softball, baseball, and more. Now among all the sports that our school has to offer, which do you think is the most popular? If you said football you are among the many of the people here at GHS. If you didn’t choose it you’re probably asking yourself…why football

“Football is just fun to watch and there’s a lot of my friends at the games,” said softball player Lily Burris. She started talking about all the things you can do at football games, like hanging with friends, getting concession food, and showing school spirit.! “It’s a fun thing to do on a Friday night,” Lily added. From what was said she doesn’t watch football at home so the actual sport plays a very little role into why she’s actually there. Freshman Natalie Burris used similar reasoning. “I like the environment and having fun when I’m there with people,” She said, “But I feel like it’s football because a lot of people play it and like to see it.” That explains why different crowds would be drawn to the games. 

“It’s gotta be football because who doesn’t go to the games?” Nick Clark asked as he was on the hot seat. “I mean, football is so fun to watch and unlike softball you can always expect something different to happen.” Obviously feeling strong on the topic, making sense considering he used to play it himself. Now he watches almost every game he can make. 

Just  look at the funds that the tickets raise for a football game and the amount of money made off tickets for a girls basketball game. I looked into how much more money people think that football is made and ask basketball players how much money they think is made on ticket sales and the numbers are almost incomparable. Girls games make up to $500-1,000 in ticket sales in the “important” home games, being against South Warren and Bowling Green. When the football team makes almost $2,000 every game. 

Even our very own Coach Simpsion agrees that football is extremely popular among students and even teachers. He explains how it just depends on how many students decide to come. It also relies on the parents and if they agree to take their kids to the games. Nevertheless, football is proven to be Greenwood’s favorite sport.

Edited by: Charlotte and Victoria