The Warming Tree
View All

What Makes A Good Teacher?

What makes a good teacher? How do students recognize that? Greenwood freshman students think that they might know how. However, teachers do not  get enough credit for their job. According to the site “Indeed” (Teacher salary in the United States) Teachers get paid about $18.09 an hour, and that much to teach kids for one hundred and eighty days, and even more, I would not. We, as students, rather a kindergartner, or a senior, we all should be thankful for our teachers, and there are different types of teachers, good, bad, in between. 

Now, there is a lot that separates good teachers from bad. But according to students, what makes a teacher a good one? According to Freshman Luke Simon, “What makes a good teacher is, they are pretty chill and laid back, some do not care too much and can joke around and are always friendly. Basically everyday is a good day for them.” From what he thinks, he thinks that a good teacher is chill and laid back. He thinks that a good teacher is someone who jokes around with class and is friendly. Luke hesitated a little bit, and it did take him a little while to answer, however in the end he was able to answer the question. 

Another Freshman, Aidan Hogg, says, “When they are able to understand his/her students.” From what he thinks, a good teacher is able to understand the students’ questions or anything that they need help with in general. Like Luke, Aidan, he also hesitated a little bit, and when he stated his answer, that is all he responded with. 

From the point of view of another Freshman, Dylan Bessinger, he said that what makes a good teacher is when, “They are able to explain a subject in a way that makes sense, and if it does not make sense, then they are able to explain the subject further. And if it does not make sense then, then they are able to help out the student.” What he thinks is that a good teacher is able to explain a question or anything for that matter. Dylan, like the other two, hesitated a little bit, but he was able to explain his answer to the question in a little more depth than the others.

They all gave different answers on what they think a good teacher should be like. A good teacher is undefinable, it just depends on who you are.