The Warming Tree
View All

Greenwood Boys Soccer Win Over Glasgow

The Greenwood High School boys soccer team returned from Glasgow with an impressive win and even more momentum this past Tuesday night. The Gators defeated the Glasgow Scotties with a 5 – 0 shutout. This win adds to a now four game winning streak for the Gators. 

Andy Alfaro led off the game with a goal, followed by Kayden Smith with another. With a slow end to the first half the Gators had a 2 – 0 lead. Coming into the second half the Gators brought back some of the energy missing in the previous with 2 goals by Joe Padgett and a goal by Dylan Goad assisted by Carlos Hercules. The final score 5 – 0. “We haven’t performed as well as we should have, but we’re fixing our mistakes now,” says Kincade Shomler, senior. 

Last weekend, the Gators performed excellently at the Purples Classic. Here they played George Rogers Clark and North Oldham, defeating both teams 4 – 2. Multiple players were missing this weekend, meaning JV players had to step up and play. Still, the Gators went out and put on a show. Maung Hsa, junior, had this to say about their weekend performance, “We played very good, our chemistry was very good on the field.”

This Saturday the GHS boys soccer team plays in the first ever Greenwood hosted tournament. Their matchups include Bullitt East and Pulaski County. Also upcoming this next week is a home game against South Warren, who the Gators previously played losing 0 – 5, and Bowling Green, who they lost 2 – 3 to in a very close game. Coach Eric Bowers had this to say about these upcoming matches,” So as far as this weekend, it’s our first tournament, we just want to make sure everything runs smooth and all teams have a good time with it and we get some good competition. As far as South Warren next week, it’s a tough district so we got another practice, these two games, and probably another session after that to fine tune some things and really get to work.” If the Gators play with the energetic effort demonstrated throughout the season, success will surely follow. 

Come support the GHS boys soccer team this Saturday at 9 am and 11:15 am. The South Warren game is home and will take place Tuesday, September 12th. Go Gators!