School in a Pandemic

Going to school in a pandemic can be very hard for some students both emotionally and academically.  However, for others the negative impact seems to be less detrimental.  When the new school year began in August of 2020, Greenwood High school developed a plan of action for students, teachers, and families to follow.  The objective and priority of this plan was to first and foremost keep everyone safe and healthy.  The school developed two groups, the red group and the blue group.  The students included in the red group go to school every Monday and Wednesday.  The students included in the blue group go to school every Tuesday and Thursday.  Both groups have NTI (Non-Traditional Instruction) on Friday.  The Friday NTI allows teachers to develop plans and prepare for the following week.  It also allows students more time away from crowds at school.

Going to school two days a week is difficult because the off days lack routine and it is much harder to stay on task.  The positive points about being home are flexibility and the comfort of doing my schoolwork from home.  One of my friends said that she does not like the two day a week schedule because she doesn’t get to see her friends very often and it is hard to stay on task and complete assignments.  Another friend said she prefers the two day a week schedule because she likes the time at home.  She enjoys the flexibility that being home allows.  She can complete assignments at her own pace.  My mom is a teacher at a private school in Bowling Green.  They have been going to school five days a week since August.  She would prefer that Greenwood move to a three day a week (every other week) schedule because she believes teenagers need to be around other people in person.  She believes that face to face instruction is more effective and meaningful than NTI at home.  However, she likes the flexibility that the action plan gives families.  Students are more likely to social distance and less likely to spread the Covid – 19 virus.  She admitted that she is slightly concerned for how this pandemic will affect younger generations for years to come both academically and emotionally.

The pandemic has affected students positively and negatively. Greenwood’s plan has been effective in reaching all students and being available to them for academic and emotional needs. My friends and I are lucky to be a part of a smart and safe community so I can keep myself and others healthy.