Gator Track & Field Caps Busy Week

By Maggie Gholston, Reporter

The Gator Track and Field team had a busy last week full of long meets and outstanding performances, traveling near and far to showcase their talent, hard work, and dedication.

Last Tuesday, March 21, the team competed in the Warren East All-Comers meet.

The girls finished second out of 13 teams with a total of 95 team points.  Kelsey Dinning led the team in points scored at 12.5.  Individual first place finishes included: Callie Strode in the 400-meter dash; Dinning in the 800-meter run; Lynda Scannell, Anne Logan Perkins, Hope Leeper and Dinning in the 4x800m relay; and Madison Duncan also placed first in adapted shot put.

The boys tied for third out of 13 teams with a total of 79 team points.  A.J. Anthony led the team in points scored with a total of 16.  Individual first place finishes included Anthony in the 110-meter hurdles and Mason Wilson in pole vault.

The team also competed in the Greenwood All-Comers meet on Thursday, March 23.

The girls finished second out of seven teams scoring 151.5 points.  Rose Mary Jackson led the team in points scored, ending the meet with her total of 22.5 points.  First-place finishes included Jackson in the 400-meter dash; Dinning, Strode, Emmy Smith, and Jackson in the 4×400-meter relay; Ashlyn McGehee in discus throw; and Duncan in adapted shot put.

The boys finished second out of seven teams, scoring 136 points.  Kareem Mitchell led the team in points scored with a total of 20.  Mitchell placed first in the 400-meter dash.

As the last meet of the week, Greenwood competed in the Lindsey Wilson High School Invitational on Saturday, March 25.

The girls finished sixth out of nine teams with 50 points. Jackson led the team in points scored with a total of 14.5. Duncan finished first in adapted shot put.

The boys finished eighth out of nine teams with 32 team point.  Chaz Zickus led the team in points scored with eight.

That wraps up last week’s results and there are more meets to come this week.