Track and Field Gears Up for the Season

Track and Field Gears Up for the Season

By Maggie Gholston, Reporter

Track and field is starting up and everyone is getting prepared for the season. People are completing their final practices of the pre-season before their first meet.  Many are very excited about the upcoming season and have given me insight on what the typical track and field practices are like.

One distance runner named Kelsey Dinning has shared her hopes for the upcoming season. She has goals for setting a PR in the 800 and to go to state in the 4 by 8 relay as well as the 800. She says that she is very excited for the season ahead of her and her team and for many records to be broken. Kelsey believes that their pre-season training has prepared them for this season. Since she is a leader on the distance portion of the track team, she said, “Our new distance coach, Coach Elis, has truly made an impact to our training and confidence.”

Track practice is everyday after school from around  3 to 4:30. The typical track practice depends on the day. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are speed days while the rest of the week is used to build up endurance.

Field practice depends on what event you’re in. For Shot Put and Discus Throw, practices normally consist of athletes working on their throwing technique. Going into this season, Ashlyn McGehee and Carly Miller are ranked in the top two spots for Shot Put and Discus Throw.

Many people are looking forward to this season. Freshman Anne Logan Perkins, a runner on the team, says that everyone is hard at work at each and every one of their practices after school.

The team hopes to kick off their season with a great start as they compete in their first meet on Tuesday 21.