Oar Club Raises Funds for Pediatric Hospital

Dance Little Red Gives Gators Change to Have Fun While Helping

By Maggie Gholston, Reporter

A young girl rests after her surgery.

It is now the time to get involved with Greenwood High School’s latest fund-raising event, Dance Little Red. This event will be held in the Greenwood High School Gymnasium from 6-9 p.m. on March 10. The night will be full of exciting dancing, games, crafts, and food, which will all be supporting a good cause.

Dance Little Red is a branch of Dance Big Red with a shared focus to support pediatric cardiology and adolescent oncology.  This is a student-led fund-raising event that will be benefiting the Children’s Hospital Foundation.

The foundation exclusively raises funds to support programs, equipment, facilities, research, advocacy and education at Norton Children’s Hospital, Norton Children’s Medical Center, and Norton Women’s and Children’s Hospital (all previously known as Kosair Children’s Hospital). It also is the philanthropic arm for Norton Children’s Hospital, Kentucky’s only full-service, free-standing hospital created “Just for Kids.”

This Children’s Hospital is a non-profit organization and depends on the generosity of the surrounding communities to support their hospital’s life. This is why each donation is individually vital to each child’s progress at the hospital. They are home to the only pediatric heart transplant program in Kentucky and also home to one of the country’s largest sickle cell anemia treatment programs.

Norton Children’s has a clinical staff that is trained to provide the special kind of care children need and deserve. This is a highly qualified children’s hospital and offers nothing less than the best care possible for all of their patients.

Jennifer Lawrence visits Norton Children’s in her home town of Louisville, KY.

Along with the fun experience at Dance Little Red and the helpful contribution you have made, all participant will receive a Dance Little Red t-shirt. The cost to register for this beneficial event is only $10. Once you have registered you will receive your own personal fundraising page to help you with surpassing the fundraising goal of $25. However, the overall goal of Dance Little Red is $5,000.

If you are interested in making a donation you can click here to visit the Oar Club’s Dance Little Red webpage. You are also encouraged to pledge to an individual or a specific team. If you know of any businesses or organizations that are interested in sponsorship opportunities for this event, contact Ms. Dyer at  natalie.dyer@warren.kyschools.us for more details. To join a team or register to dance, visit the website linked above.

Many Greenwood clubs and students have already began to sign up such as FBLA, FCCLA, and FCA.  

Despite just having a heart valve transplant, this young child is as happy as can be.

Greenwood Clubs and Organizations are eligible to compete in events such as the Red Wagon Decorating Contest, Banner Decorating Contest, Top Fundraising Contest,and the Most Participants Contest.

One contest that stands out is the Red Wagon Decorating Contest. It is in these wagons that the children are wheeled off to surgery. This gives off a more positive and less stressful vibe in front of the kids.

By joining this event, you are helping to save a life.