Beginning of an End

Ashley Spiller competing in the breaststroke leg of Greenwood’s 200 medley relay at 2016 KHSAA State.

By Avery Witcher, Reporter

When she was only six years old, Ashley Spiller stepped foot in the Aquatics Center for the first time.  With goggles in hand and ambition in her eyes, Ashley was about to begin a sport that would become her everything for the next eleven years.  

Ask anyone who has ever swam competitively, they will say it’s the hardest sport in the book.  Not only is it physically demanding, but mentally as well.  You push through grueling practices and weekend long swim meets…it is a rush, but for Ashley the rush is all about to be over.

Over her years in the water, senior Ashley Spiller has earned multiple swimming accomplishments.  She has swam on the high school team and lettered since the 6th grade, as well as competing on the region team each year.  She has qualified for the state swim meet five of her seven years on the team, and hoping that this year will make six.  She is a part of the three-time region champion 200 medley relay and has been part of several past freestyle relays that have also swam at state.

Ashley has set some goals for her final season and they involve making the Greenwood State Team in not only relays, but an individual event, which will require her to place top 2 at the region swim meet coming up in February.

She will be attending the University of Alabama in the fall with plans to major in aerospace engineering.  After leaving for college, she says that the thing she will miss the most are her teammates, especially due to the fact that she’s going to a college so far away.  We will never forget the impact Ashley left…not only on the record board, but in our hearts as well.