Gators Enter the Shark Tank

Bowling Green Daily News photo

Haley Cooper (left) and Molly Carr present their marker for the judges.

On Friday, December 9, Mrs. Whittinghill’s Business Management students competed in a Shark Tank competition at Mariah’s restaurant.

The students competed in the classroom to see who could come up with the best invention, much like the show Shark Tank that we see on TV. The two groups that came out on top were SafePac and Scribble.

SafePac was a team including Clayton Kirby, Hannah Brady, and Madison Jamiolkowski. Their product was a backpack with a built in GPS system. Their target market were parents wanting to keep their children safe on the way to and from school.

Scribble was a team made up of Molly Carr and Haley Cooper. Their product was a dry erase marker that can be personalized, with replaceable ink cartridges. Their target market was elementary school teachers.

Because of these groups’ win in the classroom, they got to move on to a competition at Mariah’s where they competed with other teams from local schools.

In preparation for this competition, these groups created a prototype of their inventions. Scribble utilized the 3D printer we have here at Greenwood and printed a model of their marker and removed the ink cartridge from a dry erase marker to place in their prototype.

Warren East High School and South Warren High School were the other participants in this event. Teams from Warren East presented Nikos, a dry-fit T-shirt that doubles as a business casual shirt, and TABS, a portable battery-powered microwave that works with an app on a smartphone. The South Warren team presented S.T.A.R. Transportation, a service much like Uber that will track and transports kids to and from school.

Of the Greenwood teams, SafePac presented their product first while Scribble presented their idea last. These young entrepreneurs’ ideas were judged by business owners from here in Bowling Green. At the conclusion of the competition and judging, Scribble was the winner, scoring their win by only two points.

This win gives Scribble the opportunity to move on to the regional round, the Lt. Governor’s Entrepreneurial Challenge, where they may be able to receive a patent for their marker. Molly Carr, a member of the Scribble team, says through this experience she learned how hard it can be to succeed in the business world. But she did enjoy the opportunity of being a leader for her team.

The regional competitions are taking place in early April.