TDC Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Soule

TDC Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Soule

By Madison Duncan, Editor-In-Chief

This year is Mrs Soules 26th year teaching. She started off teaching art at Drakes Creek Middle but three years ago she moved to Greenwood. At Greenwood, Mrs. Soule teaches: Art I,II,III, and IV; Drawing & Painting; and AP Art Studio 2D.  Along with teaching, Mrs. Soule sponsors the Art Club. This club allows students to work on independent projects as well as big group projects like Art Day, a day during school where different people in the community come into Greenwood to look at all the different projects the Art Club and Classes have been working on. Knowing she wanted to be a teacher from a young age, Mrs. Soule said, “I can’t imagine not being a teacher but if I had to choose something else I think that I  would be a motivational speaker or life coach.” She said she would choose one of these two things because she likes to tell people what to do.

Mrs. Soule’s favorite parts of being a teacher are seeing her students create what she calls their “best piece of artwork” and helping them rise to their full potential. However, the one thing that she does not enjoy about teaching is the paperwork and testing each year. The good students, ones who have a desire to learn as well as try new things, make up for that though.

Mrs Soule does not just teach though. When she is not teaching, you can find Mrs. Soule traveling, painting, taking care of her goats, or loving on her grandchildren. One thing people may not know about Mrs. Soule is that she was a Girl Scout first class, the highest award there is in Girl Scouts. She earned this award for participating for so long and putting in so many hours for Mrs. Soule participated in Girl Scouts from Brownies to Senior First Class.