“Burn For Burn”: Book Series Review

By Helena Ysasaga, Reporter

What would you do if someone you trusted hurt or betrayed you? Mary, Kat, and Lillia are all students who go to Jar Island High School. They don’t know each other at first, but end up getting together and making a revenge pact against the people who’ve hurt them the most. Their friendship is a secret, but they need each other to right some wrongs, they’re getting even.

The books Burn for Burn, Fire with Fire, and Ashes to Ashes are all part of the Burn for Burn book series written by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian. Jenny Han has written successful books such as “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” and “P.S. I Still Love You.” The books were rated a 4.1/5 and a 4.2/5 on Goodreads. Siobhan Vivian has also written books such as “The Last Boy and Girl in The World” and “Same Difference.” The books were rated a 3.8/5 and a 3.4/5 on Goodreads.

These two successful authors have written a greatly victorious book series. The Burn for Burn book trilogy was rated a 4.3/5 on Goodreads and a 4.4/5 from Barnes and Noble. The book fits into many different genres, such as realistic fiction, young adult, fantasy, romance, and mystery.

This series is packed with all kinds of emotions, such as happiness, suspense, sadness, and it will keep you on the edge of your seat. There were three points of view, and I think that’s what brought the the whole series together. Each point of view showed a different girl’s feelings towards their situation and contributed to the story in some way.

There were many plot twists and turns everywhere that I didn’t see coming. Each book was great because it made me remember some things that occurred during the last and makes sure you have a sight of remembering what happened previously. The characters were absolutely great, and the way the authors described their style and personalities made them easy to picture.

The ending, though, was a bit of a disappointment and not completely satisfying there was so much build up in the plot now until the ending, which was summed up in the last two chapters that weren’t big enough to hold a good ending. I felt as though the authors could have taken many different directions with the ending, like writing a mind-blowing plot twist, but in the end they didn’t. However, the whole series was enjoyable overall.

Each book ends on a cliffhanger that made me want to keep reading. Han and Vivian manage to create a drama that doesn’t feel aimless or overly melodramatic and characters with incredible depth and growth development. This book is a definite page turner and would recommend this highly to everyone.