The International Club Hosts Culture Fair and Cafe

All-day event on Friday, April 22, celebrates food, fashion, music, and customs from all over the world.

By Madison Duncan, Writer/Editor

The International Club is one of the largest clubs in the school next to the Oar Club. It is sponsored by Mrs. Bond, Mr. Dethridge, and Ms. Towe and each year they take part in enabling students to learn about other cultures. They also help integrate international students into Greenwood’s student body. The International Club hosts the International Culture Fair which includes a Taste of the Nations, and runs the International Cafe.

Once a month on Friday mornings, the International Club hosts the International Cafe, which is held in the concession stand outside of the gym, from 7 a.m. until the five-minute warning bell rings. They sell coffee, cappuccinos, hot chocolate, and GADS’ (glazed and chocolate) donuts. Drinks are $2 and donuts are $1.

The proceeds earned from the International Cafe go back to the club, either to buy school supplies for those who cannot get their own or to buy prom dresses or graduation cap and gowns for those who cannot buy their own.  

The Culture Fair is the biggest event that the International Club hosts. Happening throughout the whole day on Friday, April 22, different students will perform a dance or song from their home country or make an ethnic dish that they enjoy.

This year there will be a variety of dances, fashion shows, and performances from Greenwood students. Once students are finished watching the performances, they can enter the hallway by the auditorium to try foods from different cultures in the Taste of the Nations. This is a day centered around all the different cultures that are in the Greenwood student body. All the International students come together to show off their culture and background.

The International Club mixes both American and international Students in making a buddy system to provide a support system for the ESL students. Their Student Officers are a mix of both American and international students. The Co-Presidents are Kelly Lin and Meagan Niu; Vice President is Brittney Weilbacher; Secretary is Marlena Stokes; Treasurer is Chandler Flint; Historians are Casey Jacobs and Nae Reh; Technology Crew is Akash Pansuriya and Dhruvin Patel; and Social Correspondent is Kylie Bray.

When you join International Club, it is a chance for you to meet new people, broaden your horizons, and to learn about different cultures and see how all the nationalities in the school can come together and share their different customs. Stokes said her favorite part of the club is “connecting with other cultures and learning new things about the world and its cultures.”