Does School Start too Early?

By Kaydyn Massey, Reporter

We constantly hear “ I’m tired,” “Can we go back home and just sleep all day,” and “I am too tired to do anything.” Students trudge through the hallways half asleep. Teachers get mad at their students for falling asleep through their lesson. Students get in trouble with their parents for having a F in their first period.

Does school start too early?

Students always say that it is too early to function properly. They say that due to the early starting of school they don’t get enough sleep. This is true, but another contributing factor is that we go to bed late. Now the teachers know this, because they were once our age and they too also went to bed late, but yet they don’t make it any easier on us.  Studies have shown that a teeenager’s brain isn’t fully awake until 10:00 a.m. Why do they even make us come so early if the science has provided facts that show that the early hours of the day have no effect on the brain. A student says, “Yes, school does start too early. Sometimes I fall asleep in class .”

Teachers were once in our situation, but most of them don’t show empathy for us in the mornings. They expect us to get a full night sleep when sometimes, not always, they give tons of homework to do which will take us all night to do. They too have to get up early and, they complain about having to spend their weekends grading papers, but they are the ones who give us them. Teachers also say that they too have a hard time waking up so early in the morning, but they say it is worth it, because they are doing something they love. I can guarantee you that most students don’t love school.

If school were to start later, students would be grateful. The later start would give them the opportunity to eat breakfast in the mornings, and have a better beginning to the day.  Students would be more alert in the classroom and wouldn’t fall asleep during teaching. Students would get better grades and would have better chance of getting into college. The day at school would run much more smoothly. Teachers wouldn’t have to worry about anyone falling asleep, and they would be able to put in grades faster. Teachers would get eat with their children in the mornings. A later starting in the day would increase production throughout the school.

School should start later in the day. Students and teachers would be more productive if the school day started later.  We would not hear “ I’m tired,” or “ Why is it so early?” Students and teachers would be well rested when they come to school. School starting later would be the smartest choice the board would ever make. If they were to change this schools in our state would have their tests scores go up.