FFA Week is Fun For All

FFA, or Future Farmers of America, is the heart and soul of the Agriculture Department at Greenwood, so when FFA Week rolls around, it is a big week for everyone.

This year, FFA Week begins on Monday the 22nd and runs until Friday the 26th. There is no shortage of activities and dress-up days planned, all oriented around the FFA mission. But the fun is not just for those in the FFA program. Everything is open to all teachers, students, and staff members at GHS.

Of course there will be the usual traditions such as the petting zoo of farm animals and a barbecue celebration on Friday, but new features will also appear this year. For example, each one of the five dress-up day themes highlights a different aspect of the FFA logo.

ffa owlMONDAY

“The Wisdom of Agriculture”

In the center of the FFA logo is an owl, which represents the wisdom that is vital to agriculture, so Monday will be full of agriculture trivia and an FFA promotion.

The clothing theme for Monday is FFA- or Agriculture-related hats and shirts.

ffa plow TUESDAY

“Farmer and Animal Day”

The plow on the FFA logo is symbolic of the vessels of agriculture: the farmer and the farm animals. To represent this, students will dress up as either farmers or animals on Tuesday.

The tradition of the FFA petting zoo will also continue this year. On Tuesday, Ag students will bring in animals from their local farms and they will be on display for all students and teachers to meet in the Ag hallway.

There will also be an FFA assembly in the gym for all students during school.

ffa sun

WEDNESDAY

“Beach Day”

In the background of the FFA logo is a rising sun, and there are few places as sunny and bright as the beach. To celebrate this, Wednesday’s dress-up them is beach-wear; that means Aloha shirts, sunglasses, etc. However, swimsuits are not allowed because of dress code restrictions.

Also in the spirit of vacationing and travelling, FFA members will be going on a field trip to meet a National FFA Officer, visit a local farm, and tour Western Kentucky University’s Department of Agriculture.

ffa blue and gold

THURSDAY

“Blue & Gold Day”

The colors of the FFA logo are blue and gold, so Thursday’s clothing theme is hats, shirts, jackets, etc. that are blue and gold. Any student or teacher who wears blue and gold can get a free ticket to the FFA barbecue on Friday and is eligible to win special prizes, regardless of whether they are part of Greenwood’s Ag Department.

Thursday is also Tractor Day, so students will bring in their tractors to display in the front parking lot.

ffa eagle

FRIDAY

“‘Merica Day”

Perched on top of the FFA logo is an eagle, which stands for the country that unites all American farmers, so clothing for Friday is U.S.A-themed clothing, such as red, white, and blue or American flag themed shirts, hats, etc.

There will also be students bringing in their muddy pickup trucks to show in the front parking lot.

The celebrations will culminate in an exclusive barbecue during lunch for all students and teachers who wore blue and gold on Tuesday. There will be ribs, hamburgers, and great company to wrap up the week.