Young Writers Attend WKU Journalism Scholars Day

On Friday, November 20th, hundreds of high school students in the Southern Kentucky area traveled to Western Kentucky University to attend the university’s annual Journalism Scholars Day conference.

Among the groups that participated in the conference were GHS Yearbook students and members of the Daily Chomp staff, led by Yearbook teacher Mrs. Ortiz and Journalism instructor Mr. Davis.

The conference, held in WKU’s Mass Media and Technology Hall, was composed of three separate sessions, each featuring a variety of seminars and workshops centered around writing and journalism.

In Telling Stories With Video, WKU student Jake Pope teaches students the basics of studio lighting and audio. (Photo by McKenna Watt.)

The activities represented the diverse interests of journalism students. There were several seminars focused on writing for news publications, such as a question-and-answer with the Editor-in-Chief of WKU’s College Heights Herald and a session of Feature Writing. For those interested in photography, multiple classes offered instruction for sports photography, fashion photography, and photojournalism. Students also were able to attend three separate sessions on graphic design.

In addition to attending the informational sessions, students had the opportunity to enter a Speech News Story-Writing Contest. Two seniors from each high school were allowed to enter the contest in order to win a $500 scholarship to attend WKU. Elizabeth Cravens, a member of the GHS Yearbook team, entered to represent Greenwood.