Why you should Travel/Study abroad

By McKenna Watt, Writer/Reporter

discover

Many of us seniors and maybe even some juniors have begun the process of trying to figure out our future plans and what exactly we want to do with ourselves after high school, some of us will go to college, some of us will move away, and some of us will choose to study abroad or travel with organizations.

My Experience with People to People:

People to People is a student travel organization started by President Eisenhower to make peace between the countries of the world. Spending three weeks in Europe with the People to People Organization was one of the best experiences of my seventeen years, traveling abroad and doing charity work while learning many things about French, Italian and Greek culture has so many benefits that I can only hope that the rest of the world will one day experience. From eating foreign foods and meeting unique people to seeing landmarks you’ve only previously seen on a TV, it is always rewarding to step outside of your comfort zone. My journey first began by flying on a massive airplane over to Paris, France to then seeing The Eiffel Tower, The Lourve, and The Arc De Triomphe all while trying new things and making incredible friends. After visiting Paris, my group and I traveled by train over to Italy and visited many cities including Rome, Venice, and Florence. We did several activities such as repelling down a castle, taking pictures with the leaning tower of Pisa, and looking around Italian shops. Our last destination on the trip was Greece, where we visited Athens (the town that first held the Olympics), beaches, and restaurants where we learned how to make Greek recipes.  We also helped out a town by re-painting their sidewalks and buildings. I don’t think I will ever forget these experiences and can only hope I will get to visit my favorite continent again one day.

Why I think YOU should Study Abroad:

After my trip with People to People I immediately knew I wanted to return to Europe. I now have no doubt that I will be applying to study abroad in England during college. However, if you have no interest in visiting Europe, do not think your options are limited, many colleges have opportunities for you to visit other places such as Japan, Australia, Costa Rica, India, China, Brazil, Canada and many more. Personally, I think that getting outside of your home town and going to experience other countries and cultures makes you so much wiser, and what better time to do it then when you are young and have no responsibilities other than school? Can you imagine studying right in the middle of London? Or Paris? Or Tokyo? Spending a few months surrounded by a beautiful country has so many perks! Just take a look at these statistics:

Study-Abroad-Press-Release-Graphic-02

Study-Abroad-Press-Release-Graphic-01

Studying abroad does give you an easy interview topic and something unique to put on a resume, trust me, I know. You also become very accustomed to being independent. Students who study abroad have an easy exploring nature. As cheesy as it sounds, you will be not only discovering yourself but also making yourself. An easy perk of studying in another country is a moment never being dull, the moments you are not at the university, you will be discovering new things in your country and traveling. Can you imagine having a fall break in France? By the time your study abroad term is up, you will have discovered so many new interests or talents you didn’t even know you had! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for some, and an experience like nothing else. Are you interested yet? Here is some information/organizations that could be useful to you:

People to People Ambassador Program:
www.peopletopeople.com
“Global travel expands your mind and perspective. With People to People, students don’t travel as tourists—they get immersed in local cultures and make meaningful connections. Students come home inspired, confident and more connected to the world and possibilities around them.”

AIFS (The American Institute for Foreign Study):
www.aifsabroad.com
AIFS provides study abroad programs in 20 countries in Asia, Australia, Europe, South America, Central America and South Africa.”

Study Abroad
www.studyabroad.com
“Listings and links for programs in more than 100 countries.”

or look for programs on your college’s website, good luck!