The Warming Tree
View All

A Season of Spikes and Successes

The sport of volleyball is not just about how well you can spike, serve, or block a ball; it is a way of proving dedication, determination, and teamwork. Every volleyball season at Greenwood High School has its own story that can be filled with moments that are unforgettable, but what makes the Greenwood volleyball team so successful?

Volleyball, according to the Olympic Program Commission, is one of the most played sports in the world with the most professional leagues and a high number of fans. Volleyball is a simple game that is easy to learn, requires minimal equipment, and is a no contact sport, making it safer than other sports. Not to mention that it is a great way to exercise while still having fun. Since volleyball is so simple and fun, globally, there are over 900 million fans of volleyball. The Greenwood High School volleyball team is a part of the 900 million fans. Just this season, they have won multiple games. As of Friday of September 22nd 2023, according to freshman Audrey Wilson, the freshman team had won three games and had only lost two. They were also able to win a tournament! That same day, Wilson said that JV had played seven games and won five of them. And lastly, freshman Lila Whittinghill who is on varsity said on September 14th of 2023 “We’ve played sixteen like on our record and we have won thirteen of them.” Clearly, the Greenwood volleyball team has no issue with earning victory. 

Even though they are excellent players, it is not always going to be effortless. Volleyball is a sport that requires teamwork and camaraderie in order to be successful. Whittinghill recalled a moment from a game where their team had a bump in the road. “We had a struggle with one of our opponents since she was doing really good so we had to adjust to her.” In a similar tone, freshman Kailey Keown who is on the freshman team stated, “Sometimes we get in like holes and like the other teams are up by a lot and sometimes we just have to push through and overcome that.” Wilson gave a great example too of how their team can bounce back. “We were playing at Warren East, and we won the first set but ended up losing the second set. We noticed that East was picking up all of our tips so began to start swinging deep down the line. Our passers also stepped up and played great defense and server receive. This resulted in a lot of kills overall, the win!” exclaimed Wilson. All of the volleyball teams have great resilience that has played a big role in their success. Not to mention that they have improved a bunch through the season already. All of the players said that their teams have gotten a lot more used to each other and the new teams. When improvement was brought up to Keown, she replied with, “I feel like we’ve talked more and bonded more.” Similarly, Whittinghill added “Our chemistry is a lot better than it was, which is really good.” “At the beginning of the season we definitely played very tense. But now that we have played more games and have gotten comfortable with each other, I think we have really calmed down and are able to play to our full potential,” Wilson said. Adjusting to new situations can be difficult so kudos to all three of the teams for being able to keep going even if it was hard at times.

Despite some of the challenges that the players can be faced with, they are definitely paid off. All of the fun experiences, achievements, and opportunities are worth the time and energy each player is putting into the sport. Along the way, there have been many exciting and memorable moments from this season. Keown decided to tell me a moment from a tournament. “Well we won a tournament and Keely Hatcher started doing cartwheels,” she said while giggling. “One I kicked the ball up and I got a save from my foot,” Whittinghill said while trying to hold back laughter. Having a little bit of fun every once in a while can benefit the team since it can cause encouragement, motivation, and can produce a type of balance. It is also important to have a little fun with life in order to stay happy. Being optimistic also is a big part of living a happy life. Looking to the future can be stressful for many but it is crucial to stay positive in order to succeed. “I don’t want to jinx us, but I think that we have a great chance at winning districts. We are a really strong team and if we want it, we can get it!”, Wilson claimed happily. Whittinghill has the same goal, “I think that we can win regions and go to state.” With these kinds of mindsets, no wonder all of the players and the teams have been thriving!

The journey of this volleyball team throughout the season has had its highs and lows but overall, they have done amazing! From the dedication and commitment they have executed, they have deserved every win they have gotten. The Greenwood volleyball team is not just a team, but a family united with the same goal. With their eyes and minds all on the future, they have even more achievements to come so do not miss it! Try and support their volleyball teams by going to games and cheering them on so they can keep on continuing to inspire us all. Go Gators!