Athlete Shoutout: Dylan Dethridge

By Brayden Phillips, Journalist

Dylan Dethridge is a senior at Greenwood High School, he has been playing tennis for about 7 years, since 6th grade, and has developed a deep passion for the game of tennis. He was awarded the honor of the USTA Most Improved Player in the state of Kentucky. 

Tennis is a time-consuming game and takes heavy dedication. Dylan knows what it means to be dedicated. He visits the courts every day, whether there is practice for school or not. There are indoor courts here in Bowling Green, so no matter rain or shine. Dylan began playing tennis in his sixth-grade year. He later joined the team a year later. Varsity is a hard challenge, and some people don’t accomplish it in their high school years. However, Dylan accomplished this feat in only his second year playing tennis. 

Bill Tym is an ex-pro who started giving lessons a few years after he retired. He has coached some of the best up-and-coming players in the world, including Dylan. Every Sunday, he has a lesson with Bill at an indoor facility near Greenwood. Others from the team join Dylan every Sunday. Bill has become one of the most influential and important people in his life for progressing in tennis. Dylan’s dad, Tim Dethridge, also has a huge place in his progression. His dad looks for many ways for Dylan to refine and perfect his skills. ¨My dad and Bill are a big part of my progression,” says Dylan. They both have played big roles in my progression, and I appreciate them for that.” 

Since Dylan is a senior this year, he has started to look toward the future and see what his life might be like in the next few years. Dylan says, ¨I see myself playing in Challenger Tournaments and International Tennis Federation tournaments.” Challenger tournaments are the second highest level of tournament play someone can play in, behind the ATP Tour. Dylan fits the mold of this tournament perfectly. Most players in this level of play are young players working on advancing their careers, and letting others know their names. He also looks to play in the International Tennis Federation. ITF is very similar to The Challengers. It is the lowest rung of professional tennis. This level of play is also for young players to progress and get their name out there. Almost every single professional player has once played in ITF at some point in their tennis career. Dylan shoots to reach this level of play in the next five years, which is around the time that he graduates college. Awards are starting to mean little to Dylan since he has won so many. He loved that he was nominated, and awarded the USTA Most Improved Player in the state of Kentucky. Dylan says, ¨This award doesn´t mean a lot to me. It does not get me any money so it doesn’t matter that much.” While Dylan does not care about the award a whole lot, others around him think that it is one of the most important awards one can win. Bill Tym and his dad both agree that this award is the most important award he could have won.