The Greenwood Tennis Team Making a Racket on the Courts

By Arden Dethridge, Reporter

Tryouts for Greenwood High School’s tennis team are soon approaching on the fifteenth of February, which only gives them shortly two weeks to get back into their old routine of last season. The team starts matches early March. 

Johnathon Foust, a junior varsity player, was asked how he felt about the new beginning season and what he hoped to accomplish. “I want to make it to state this year so that means I would need to be in the final four at region,” he expressed. Johnathon also noted that he had been playing tennis since elementary school, so he wasn’t as worried about tryouts as some of the other players. 

Greer Glosick, another junior who placed runner-up in the region tournament and advanced to state last season, stated that tennis was a difficult sport to play. “The mental aspect of the game was hard to overcome at times and it was easy to get discouraged on the court,” she stated. However, Greer is super excited for the season and the matches that she would play. 

Abigail Daugherty, who played her first season last year, voiced that she was ready for the season to start this spring. “My favorite part of playing tennis is the healthy competition and spending time with my teammates,” Abigail voiced. She loves being around the environment at practices and matches. She was also happy with what she and the team accomplished last season, as it was the first year after the pandemic. 

Tim Dethridge, who has been the head coach for ten years of the boys tennis program and three years for the girls, revealed that the team had a strength in numbers. From when he first started coaching, the number of participants has grown exponentially. “Unfortunately, it’s hard to work with everyone’s skills individually, so the players greatly rely on each other to grow and improve.” Nonetheless, the team is looking strong this season and is bound to do some damage to the region and state.