Gator Bowl Showdown

Andrew Zies

Seconds before the opening kickoff.

By Andrew Zies, Reporter

“Start the buses!” The chant could be heard all the way from Drakes Creek. As the seconds ticked off the clock, the sidelines and stands began to roar. On Friday, Greenwood football played Spring Hill high school in the Gator Bowl.  It was a great game for the Gators to start their season. With outstanding performances from multiple players. The team has only played one game, and they are looking like a well oiled machine. And the players can’t agree more.

When asked about the team’s confidence about the game, Sophomore lineman Andrew Thomas said, “I feel very confident that we are prepared to face Spring Hill. With our playbook and the plays we’ve implemented this week I feel confident we can win.”

“There’s been a lot of senior leadership, especially by quarterback James Sachli.” said Thomas. There was plenty of senior leadership tonight when Sachli and Senior wide receiver Ira Matheos connected for two passing touchdowns. Another senior Marquise Trussel rushed for a touchdown on an outside zone run.

But it wasn’t just the seniors who shined tonight. Sophomore running back, Tel-Tel Long, had two rushing touchdowns as well. Junior linebacker Lofton Howard scored a rushing touchdown off of a trick play in the red zone. And sophomore defensive back, Elmo Stewart, was able to intercept a screen pass by spring hill and return it for a touchdown.

At the end of the first half Greenwood was up 41 to 12.This was an amazing start for both our offense and our defense. Being able to score that many in only the first half and holding Spring Hill to only two touchdowns shows how much work this team has been putting in over the off season.

However, Spring Hill began to rally. Greenwood scored twice in the 3rd quarter. Substitutions were made for the Gators. The JV offense and defense was subbed in around the start of the Fourth quarter. It made sense seeing as we were up by so much and it was important to let the JV players get used to the varsity atmosphere sooner than later. But Spring Hill went on to score three rushing touchdowns unanswered. But it was too late in the 4th quarter for the comeback to actually happen.

The Greenwood student section was as lively as ever. Friday night’s game was blackout night so the student section was a dark sea of cheering fans covered in green paint. The overall participation from all grades was amazing as the new and improved Oar traveled throughout the stands. This year the entirety of the oar was covered in green with lines making a gator like print on it. The bold yellow number 22 and the words “Go wood” on the blade of the oar stood out against the bold green background.  

Greenwood won 55-32 securing the first win of the season and winning the Gator Bowl. Next, the Gators will travel to Franklin Simpson to take on the Wildcats. With a record of 1-0 the Gators season is already starting to look bright.