Teacher Feature-Mrs.Stinson

By Niang Piang, Reporter

Teacher Feature-Mrs.Stinson

As a student, there are questions that we always wanted to ask our teacher. I had the opportunity to ask one of my teachers the questions that I wanted to know about her.Her name is Mrs.Stinson and she is an English teacher. Mrs.Stinson is really funny. She’s always cheerful and I think that because of her hyper, I really enjoyed being in her class, right before we have to do our school work virtually for now. I really enjoyed being in every of my teacher’s class but specifically in Mrs.Stinson’s class, because my friends are there and I just feel welcome there oh, I’m not saying that I don’t feel welcome in any of my other classes, I’m saying that her class is a little different from the other classes. I asked Mrs.Stinson quite a lot of questions. I will be quoting the questions that I asked her and I will also call her exact response to my questions.

Where did you grow up? What’s your favorite food? What’s your favorite color?
“I grew up in Franklin, KY. My favorite food is pizza, and my favorite color is purple.”
What makes a good day at school?
“A good day at school would have great student interaction and participation where students are learning as much as possible and are enjoying what they are doing.”
What accomplishment fills you with pride this year?
“This year has been very difficult to find things to celebrate since everything we are doing is so much different than other years. I would like to celebrate the fact that I’ve included diverse learning opportunities for virtual learners.”
What inspires you?
“My students inspire me; they deserve the best I can offer every day so they can learn as much as possible and be successful after graduation.”
What is your first memory when you first started teaching?
“The day a student hit my car in the parking lot”
Is there a quote or saying that you live by? “I just try to be kind every day.”

How would you handle a difficult student?
“​I try to stay calm and talk to the student about what has upset him/her. I want the student to know that I want to help with the situation.”
Is there anything you wished you knew as a first year teacher?
“The students that are the most difficult are the ones that need the most love and encouragement.”
In your opinion, what’s the best part of teaching?
“Every day is different and brings new challenges and successes. My favorite part of teaching is seeing a struggling student finally understand a difficult concept and knowing that I helped in the learning process.”
What’s the hardest part of being a teacher?
“Students that don’t want to learn”
How do you stay organized?
“I make lists of things I need to do, and I prioritize those things. My 9th grade biology teacher required a very organized binder for class, and I think I learned how to organize materials from her.”
What’s a typical Saturday night for you?
“Cooking dinner and watching television or a movie with my husband.”
What would your last meal be?
“Lasagna, a salad, a nice red wine, and a decadent chocolate cheesecake for dessert.”
What’s the best advice you’ve been given about teaching?
“You have to remember not to take things personally.”
How do you take care of yourself, so you don’t burn out?
“I try to set specific hours for working on school-related items so I’m not working all day just on school work. I try to keep my time at home for things I enjoy doing: reading, crocheting, cooking, and gardening.”
Why do you teach?
“I enjoyed school as a student mainly because I enjoyed the structured schedule and I was mostly successful in my classes. I wanted to become a teacher to create a classroom that students would enjoy learning in. Since I’ve been teaching, I think my reasons for teaching have changed a little. I want my students to understand the numerous opportunities that are available to them via education, and I want to help my students succeed and create the future they’ve dreamed of.”
Are you still friends with your friends when you were in high school?
“We’re still in contact, but we’re not as close as we were then. Thankfully, social media has helped us stay in touch a little more than we did before. My friends from high school have all moved away from our hometown, so my closest friends that I have now live in this area.”