Is The Online Schooling Helping Us Learn?

By Jayden Belote, Reporter

From March 15th- May 1st, All of Warren County Public Schools are engaging in online schooling because of the Coronavirus pandemic. Teachers and students haven’t been very thrilled about this. At first, it was only supposed to be closed until spring break ended, but the governor decided it was best to stay closed.

Most of the online schooling is done on Google Classroom, where teachers will either post all of the assignments at once, or post them daily. Some students, however, don’t have a device or a reliable source of internet, so they were provided with worksheets.

Have the students actually been doing the work, though? I asked a few friends if they were actually going to complete their work, or if they have been doing their work, and if it had helped them so far. Here’s the results:

Number of:

People doing the work and learning: 10

People not doing the work: 4

People doing the work, but not learning: 14

People trying to do the work and not learning: 7

I talked to a lot of students, and they’re all complaining that the work is really stressful, and that they would rather just go back to school. On the other hand, some students feel as if It’s better for us to stay home because they can sleep in, spend time with family, and relax, unlike during school when they can’t do any of those things.

Some of the work is really easy, but some teachers assign essays and piles of bookwork which is really stressful for some of us. Most of the work can be done in 10-15 minutes, and it’s due at the end of the week, which i’m really thankful for, so that i don’t have to wake up early or do it all at the same time every day.

So, with all of that being said: The online schooling has many pros and many cons, and we don’t really have a choice to do it or not, so i’m sure it’ll be useful in the future.

Stay safe, everyone 🙂

Make sure to vote on my poll, please! Thank you.