What Would You Do?

By Madison Moseley, Reporter

Imagine walking through the hall with your best friend going to your homeroom swamp; everything is going completely normal, and then you hear a…

In 2019, there were around 13 school shootings in the United States; where and when will the next one be? Are schools teaching the best strategies to stay safe? If there were an incident to happen in Greenwood High School, would you be prepared?

…pop! Then the teachers started yelling to the students that are in the hallway within range of the intruder to get to dark classrooms full of shocked fear and tears from the students of the unknown to come…

The most recent school shooting was a dorm school shooting in the state of Texas and 3 people were killed and many were injured. More schools are taking precautions to prevent these types of incidents by having metal detectors. They are located in the front of the schools where everyone that enters must go through; should all schools start doing this? 

…You start to hear the pops coming closer into your classroom where you’re fearfully hiding with 23 other students, your biology teacher, and her student teacher. Both teachers are at the door trying to calm students down and get them prepared for what is to come. You attempt to get your phone out and text your family but as soon as you pressed that home button you hear… 

Lock down drills have evolved over the years from more and more incidents of school shootings happening all over the United States. No one can be fully mentally prepared for an intruder at the school where students learn, laugh, make friends. School should be a place that is safe for everyone. 

…the loud bang from a 278-pound man trying his hardest to bust through your classroom door. This startles you and causes you to throw your phone across the room. At this moment the room doesn’t appear dark anymore from the light of the hallway coming into the classroom and you see a shadow of an AK-47 that is aiming at the 10th grader beside you…

What would you do? https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/06/06/ready-for-a-shooter-1-in-5.html Studies show that even one in five school officers say that students aren’t ready for school shooters. So think about it..does Greenwood have a good plan for an event like this to happen, and the big question is…are you ready?