At Home, Students Face Different Expectations

The socioeconomic level of families plays a large role in the amount of work students do at home

By Colten Smith, Reporter

The life of kids begin at their home, the place they take most comfort in.  There, we have children of high class with an outstanding income of $78,281 or above. They spend their childhood doing just about anything they want because of their wealth. What do they usually have to do around their home or what are their expectations?

Usually, most of the children in high class don’t have to do much if not anything around their home. The kids of high class have people to do their things for them. You would think children growing up like this would be better but actually they turn out worse than ever. According to Psychology Today, kids growing up with wealth tend to have high rates of substance use, anxiety, depression, eating disorders, cheating, and stealing.

Greenwood freshman Jesse Carson, whose family income is in the upper class, said, “I don’t have any chores to do. If I do it’s rare, but easy. My usual daily schedule is to feed my pet dragon and turtle and then I can play video games  on my 800 dollar computer all day and pretty much do anything I want. I still have to obey my parents but I don’t have to do much. Me and my family go out to eat usually every night and go to things that are pretty expensive but we can afford it.”

The next class is middle class. Most Upper-Middle to lower-middle have an income of roughly $35,000 to $75,000 for the lower middle class and $100,000 or more for the upper middle class. Most middle class kids, have the standard amount of expectations and things to do around their home.

They might be expected to brush their teeth, do their homework, hang up their clothes, take care of their things, pick up after themselves, just the standard expectations of a kid. For the extra things, such as chores, it is usually to take out the trash, clean your room, walk the pet if they have one, and that’s what they normally do.

John Dotts, a freshman at Greenwood High School, whose family fits into the lower middle class, said his routine is not too strenuous. “My chores and expectations around my house are to keep my stuff clean and obey my parents. I spend two hours at most on my phone or computer and the rest doing homework or whatever else I need to do. My chores are taking out the trash and helping put the clean laundry away.” 

And last but not least, we have the lower class. Lower class families usually have an income of less than $39,500. Children of lower income usually do all they possibly can to make their homes better than they already are. Some lower income families live on farms with their children. The children on the farms usually have to take care of the animals or plants. If they don’t live on a farm they would still have to do lots of things.

Their expectations would be pretty standard. In most cases more than standard, such as picking up after themselves, cleaning their things, and obeying parents. They usually have to take out the trash, clean rooms, clean the dishes, and even wash dirty laundry. Most of them have to do those things the hard way because they can’t afford to use dishwashers or washing machines. Hand washing things and hanging clothes outside to dry.

I interviewed freshman Mathew Saltz. I asked him about his income and he replied with “I’m not sure what it is but whatever it is it isn’t enough.” He said his family keeps him busy. “I do a lot of chores like garbage, feeding pets, washing dishes from time to time and things like that… my family doesn’t have much money to do much because of all the bills we have to pay. I have to get my clothes from cheap places and get shoes from my church. I did get a Christmas present this year, a 22 hunting rifle but I had to sell it in order to pay bills.”