STLP Preparing For State With the Various Projects They’re Bringing

By David Marquez, Reporter

STLP will be taking a trip to compete at regionals on December 4. The STLP team will be taking projects and personal works to WKU, to compete.

The team has been working on multiple projects to bring to WKU. These projects include: Letters to Soldiers, Scavenger, and Sign Easy.

Letters to soldiers are simply letters to soldiers. These are letters that are sent to our current service members to boost morale.

The Scavenger project is a ocean cleanup. The one we are bringing is a boat contraption that picks up the waste in the ocean.

Sign Easy is a project that is made to start helping people understand and use sign language more efficiently.

We will be presenting these projects in front of Judges, in hopes of advancing to state, and up.

STLP – Fall Showcase

Agenda Tuesday December 4, 2018

• 8:30 a.m. – Depart Greenwood
  • 9:00 a.m. – Project set up at WKU Diddle Arena
  • 10 a.m. – STLP Begins: Judging of Projects and interviews
  • Table #79: Letters to Soldiers (Judge Time: 10:25-10:35)
  • Table #80: Scavenger (Judge Time: 11:25-11:35
  • Table #81: Sign Easy (Judge Time: 11:10-11:20
  • 12:00 p.m. – Approximate Time For Fall Showcase To End
  • Luch
  • 1:30 p.m. – Approximate Time For Return To Greenwood

The teams bringing the projects will be scored from a rubric. It goes off of three levels that advise levels of regionals and above.

Level one is the entry level. Level one is where students present to the judges at the regional events.

Level two is the passing of the regional event by the judges, and put up two the state event which makes your project level two.

Level three is the state championship which students present their ideas to the judges in hopes of making their project, “Best Project in Kentucky”, for their respective division.

The students create and carry out the project, when presenting have 10 minutes to explain to the judges their idea, answer questions, and demonstrate the product or materials.
The students must score at least an 85/100 to be able to qualify for level two or the state championship.

Each team is required to complete a team reflection prior to attending the regional event. These reflections act as guides for the team and others, into the project.

Three questions asked on the team form

Back to the projects were bringing: Sign Easy, Letters to Soldiers, and Scavenger.

First with Scavenger, Scavenger is a boat that will pick up pollution/waste in the ocean. This project is made to  combat the ever growing sea waste, that is growing in our oceans.

Second, Sign Easy, this project was made to help people determine and learn sign language. Sign language is a major tool used by those with certain disabilities, whether it be hearing or mute. This project can be used to help this population by creating an easy way to learn the motions and understand what they mean.

Lastly, Letters to Soldiers, this project focuses on our current service members. This project is meant to be a sort of morale booster for our current service members, to thank and keep them going for helping our country.