Kentucky’s Much Anticipated Basketball Season Preview

By Kouta Suzuki, Reporter

Will we see Kentucky basketball being played at its best this upcoming season? John Calipari, who managed to lure some of the top recruits in the country, has a pretty good chance at winning the championship.

Returning Players

Kentucky has some key players returning from last year; P.J. Washington, Nick Richards, and Quade Green can all play basketball at a high level and help the young players that are coming in. Washington will be a huge part of Kentucky’s success; he played a huge role in their SEC championship, run last year. Richards, who started all 37 games in his freshmen season, will have a veteran type role on the court. Point guard Green can do it all, providing ball handling and scoring at a high level.

New Players

Tyler Herro, Keldon Johnson, Ashton Hagans, and E.J. Montgomery are some of the new recruits that will be starting their first year of college basketball. Herro, who stands at 6 foot 5 inches, will cause a lot of problems for opposing teams to match up with him. Johnson, who is also a guard, can be a threat from three-point range, Johnson is 44% from beyond the arc. Hagans, who is a magnificent defender, will help the team on the defensive side of the court and can finish around the basket. Montgomery, who averaged 25 points in high school, will provide a lot of scoring.

Expectations

Kentucky basketball is expecting to be a number one or two spot according to the preseason polls. The Wildcats are also expected to win the SEC Tournament. As expectations are very high this season, Kentucky needs to get on a good start to the season due to their very tough schedule.

Key Players

Green will be expected to be the floor general this season. Green has the ability to break the defense down, shoot the three ball, and pass really well. Hagans, the youngest player on the team, is specifically known for his defense, which will play a huge role if Kentucky is looking to win some games. Tyler Herro will have a significant role as being the go-to guy in late-game situations. Herro is able to hit the three, drive in, pass, etc.

Projected Starters

Starting point guard will most likely be Hagans. Kentucky’s starting shooting guard will be Quade Green. Keldon Johnson will be the starting small forward. Power forward spot will belong to Washington. Finally, the center position will be covered by Reid Travis, a highly-touted transfer from Stanford. The starting lineup is filled with a bunch of talented scorers and will give any team nightmares.

Kentucky’s first game is against Duke on November 6.