A Brief History Of Mrs. Dennis

By Ben Smith, Reporter

Dena Dennis graduated from Western Kentucky University in 1988, she graduated with a Major in Mathematics and a Minor in Physics. Mrs. Dennis didn’t immediately start teaching whenever she graduated, she was actually a stay at home mom until her kids started Elementary school, then she started to substitute at the same Elementary school they went to so she could keep seeing them.

Mrs. Dennis decided to start teaching Mathematics because she was inspired by her high school math teacher, also the fact that math has always been her favorite subject and her most talented subject.

When I asked Mrs. Dennis “Why did you decide to teach mathematics?” she said “I’ve always loved math and I knew I wanted to do something with math, so the first thing I went to do is get my Electronics degree, I worked in that for awhile and decided it just wasn’t for me.” Mrs. Dennis went on to say “Again I just loved the subject and so I went back and thought well I’ll teach it”

Mrs. Dennis also has a Minor in Physics but she doesn’t have the certification to teach it. She has an ESL Endorsement which means she can teach any ESL class, Kindergarten through 12th grade. She said that she calls it EL instead of ESL because many of the students can speak many more languages than just English as their second language.

2011 is when Mrs Dennis began teaching at Warren East High School, she taught at Warren East for one year and then moved to South Warren High School. She was a long term substitute at South for a year and then moved here to Greenwood High School.

Mrs. Dennis stayed here for three years, she stayed here from 2013 to 2016. She then decided to move again, instead of going back to Warren East or South, Mrs Dennis went to the International school.

Mrs. Dennis worked at the International school for two years from 2016 to 2018 and then moved back here. She loved working at the International school because all the students are from around the world. She said that she had students from over 20 different countries, who spoke many different languages. Each student wanted to learn, she said that she barely had any behavior problems while at the International School. After teaching at the International school Mrs. Dennis returned back to Greenwood.

Her favorite school has been Greenwood, she loves the students and faculty here, she doesn’t have a particular favorite memory at Greenwood but she loves seeing students she’s had graduate and do amazing things in life.