Greenwood’s PTSO Brings School Together

Greenwoods PTSO Brings School Together

By Ben Smith, Reporter

Greenwood High School PTSO’s focus is to help communications between students, teachers, and parents and to help support teachers and staff at Greenwood.

Greenwoods PTSO (Parent Teacher Student Organization) doesn’t do fundraisers and other things to raise money, they rely completely on parents donations for the projects that Greenwood does. Some projects Greenwood likes to do for the teachers is “Back to School Breakfast for Staff”, “Loaves of Thanks”, and “Christmas Surprises for Teachers”.

“Christmas Surprises for Teachers” in the past has been an event where teachers are given the opportunity to shop for school supplies before the second semester starts. In the past teachers had to spend their own money on school supplies, this year however Mrs. Terry said that it’s a “surprise”. “Loaves of Thanks” is a gift in November to our teachers. Parents bring in baked bread or buy bread and every teachers gets one loaf to take home. “Back to School Breakfast for Staff” is basically what it says it is a breakfast for the staff.

PTSO is completely based on the parents of Greenwood. Parents stay after school once a month to clean the library, help answer phones in the office, help students while counselors are at lunch, and help plan activities for teachers. Parents also help teachers with making copies in the copy room.

The PTSO also tries to help teachers with school supplies, they bring in things like pencils, hand sanitizer, and tissues. They fund special experiments and labs for different rooms. In the past the PTSO has bought different decorations for classrooms. That’s why it’s so important to donate and to be apart of PTSO, it helps you out with special and fun activities instead of book work.

One year the PTSO helped get Math teachers 10 extra calculators for students who didn’t have one or couldn’t afford one. The PTSO has partly paid for the inflatables at Field Day and has also help fund the PBIS awards.

The PTSO asks for different supplies to help teachers during “Christmas Surprises for Teachers” they ask for Clorox wipes, dry erase markers, highlighters, paper clips, pencils, pens, post it notes, sharpies, staples, and tissues.