R&B Sensation, Khalid, Releases New Single

“With love, to the 915”, is scribbled on the album cover for Khalid’s new single, “Better”.

By Kayleigh Cook, Reporter

Khalid Donnel Robinson, Billboard’s 2018 Top New Artist, has had a very eventful last week.

The 20-year-old artist rose to fame in July 2016 when he released his debut single, “Location”, and his debut studio album, “American Teen”, in March 2017.

Since releasing “American Teen” Khalid has been nominated five times for a Grammy Award and won many other prestigious musical awards for songs he was featured on.

On September 14 Khalid released his new single, “Better”. The single was dedicated to the 915, the area code of El Paso, Texas, where Khalid attended high school.

Khalid is often recognized for writing songs about life as a teenager and “Better” is no exception. The lyrics led Khalid fans to believe that the single is about a teenage relationship, one fan on Twitter saying, “Better by Khalid has me wanting to fall back in love.”

The song is currently number 18 on the Spotify United States Top 50 chart after being released only four days ago.

The day before releasing his new single, Khalid was rewarded the Key to the City of El Paso, Texas.

“I wanna give a big thank you to Mayor Dee Margo and the city of El Paso for giving me the key to the city, this is such a huge honor. It’s truly nothing I would’ve ever imagined. Never really felt like I belonged or had a home before I moved to El Paso. So happy I get to spread the happiness/positivity this city gives to me, to the world. It’s 915 for life.” The artist wrote on Instagram Thursday afternoon.

This week Khalid was also featured on 6LACK’S new single “Seasons”, received four American Music Awards nominations, performed two sold-out shows in El Paso, and topped the Top 40 Radio charts with his single “Love Lies” featuring Normani.