E-cigarettes are Taking Over

By Makayla Ramsey, reporter

The legal age to buy any type of tobacco products is 18, but underage teens are still somehow able to get their hands on them.

One in ten high school students say they had tried  an e-cigarette last year. The rise in popularity concerns health officials that theses products are making more problems than they are helping.  

Most teens begin to use e-cigarettes because they see they are friends doing it and want to “fit in.” Until about 25 years old the brain is still growing, which means that it’s easier for adolescents to get addicted to these e-cigarettes.

A risk to consider that isn’t health related involves defective e-cigarette batteries that have been known to cause fires and explosions, some of which have resulted in serious injuries.

One of the newest e-cigarettes is by the company Juul, and it may soon be coming to an end. The FDA is taking steps to end the flavored liquids permanently, unless they can prove to keep they away from people under 18.

They gave Juul “60 days to figure out a way to cut sales to kids.” The use of e-cigarettes  among high school students since Juul came increased by 75%.

Adolescents having them isn’t the only issue, though. The risk includes nicotine poisoning, a permanent lowering of impulse control, and behavior changes. Studies show that starting to use e-cigarettes can lead you to doing other things that also negatively affect your health, such as alcohol or drugs.

When inhaling e-cigarettes, it creates an aerosol by using a battery to heat up liquid that usually contains nicotine, flavorings, and other additives. Users inhale this aerosol into their lungs and volatile organic compounds such as benzene, which is found in car exhaust and heavy metals.

As of 2014, e-cigarettes were a $2.5 billion business in the United States, and the number is higher and growing. While the nicotine in these are addictive, smoking also becomes a habit so whether you’re addicted or not you will still find yourself constantly wanting to do it.