Derek Hahne’s Injury Takes Him Out of Lacrosse Season

By Ben Smith, Reporter

Derek Hahne, a freshman at Greenwood, was hurt recently after playing basketball in the gym with friends. Hahne said he got bumped by someone and fell on his knee.

When asked “Were you scared to have surgery?” he said, “My surgery went good and I wasn’t scared, I was ready for it to be over with.”

Hahne said that the pain didn’t come in until he stood up. He knew that something was wrong as soon as he heard his knee pop. His first reaction when it happened was,“uh oh”.

Hahne plays Lacrosse but won’t be able to play for the rest of the Fall Season. He should be able to return to Lacrosse for Spring Season if all goes well. He dislocated his kneecap and tore a tendon.

Physical Therapy is going good for Hahne,  he said that it’s not difficult at all. He also said that moving around the school and maneuvering is a little bit more difficult. He doesn’t use the elevator at all because it’s too much work for him, he uses the stairs instead.

It took Hahne awhile to get used to the brace. Regular things like taking showers is a lot harder for him. He said “It is a lot harder to shower now but I’ve gotten used to it.” The brace was difficult for him for the first week or so but he’s gotten used to it now.