Gators to Go on German Journey

Gators to Go on German Journey

By Sera Ryherd, Reporter

Ms. Whitescarver, the German teacher here at Greenwood High School, is in charge of the German American Partnership Program (GAPP).

The student exchange program originally started out in Warren Central years ago. When South Warren was built, a lot of Warren Central’s students transferred there, so Central asked Greenwood to join the GAPP Program.

Seventeen students will be hosting a German kid throughout Warren Central, South Warren, and Greenwood High School. 

Having exchange students in the school helps Greenwood become more diverse. It gives students a chance to experience other cultures without having to spend money to go to Germany.

The kids that are coming from Germany will be here for 16 days in November. They will be here for Thanksgiving, which they don’t celebrate in Germany. They also get to experience Black Friday shopping while they are here. The German students will do whatever their host does. If the host student has band practice, the German student will go with them. They will go everywhere with them.

Then in June, the host will end up going to Germany, staying with the German student for about 16 days. They will get to do everything the German student does. They will stay in Werne, Germany then travel to Hamburg for one day & stay the night.

When the German student is here in Bowling Green, they get to take field trips, such as going to WKU, Lost River Cave, and the Corvette Museum.