University of Kentucky’s Incredible Student Center Opening Soon

By Anna Scifres

With graduation quickly approaching, colleges are gearing up for the incoming students that have chosen them. The University of Kentucky has always been well-known for basketball, but recently has been garnering attention for its crazy expensive updates to campus. Among these updates are new dorms, all built within the last 10-11 years; a brand new, four-story library in the center of campus; and a brand new Student Center.

The new Student Center expanded atop the older one. It is named after Bill Gatton, who donated 20 million dollars for it to be built; the very same Gatton that our own Gatton Academy is named after. Without the donation, this $200 million project would not have been possible. It is a three-story glass and steel building with incredible new features for students, such as a large “social staircase.” It includes a state of the art Alumni Gym for students and faculty, an over 500-seat movie theater, a “Blue Box” theater, many retail stores such as Barnes and Noble and UK apparel, and many different dining options.

The second floor of the Student Center will be almost entirely dedicated to student organizations. They will have offices and meeting rooms for the organizations. There will be many retail dining options beside the two UK dining centers, like a Starbucks in the Barnes and Noble. The Student Center should be open for students when the school year starts in August. This will be an incredible addition to incoming freshman and returning students at UK to experience and utilize. Take a virtual tour of the facility here.