Artists at Greenwood Win Scholastic Awards

By Leah Witcher, Reporter

The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards has been an organization with the goal of recognizing the outstanding and creative teens

Alliance for Young Artists
The nonprofit Alliance for Young Artists & Writers presents the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards.(PRNewsFoto/Scholastic Inc.) (PRNewsfoto/Alliance for Young Artists)

of the nation. The talent of these young artist and writers shine through their films and photographs, poems and sculptors, video game arts and science fiction writing.

Through the Awards, students have many prestigious opportunities. These include recognition, exhibition, publication, and scholarships.

Each year, the number of participants increase and the variety of entries in each competitive event widens. This year, Greenwood had several winners at the Regional Scholastic Art Awards.

Gold Key Winners

• Lynda Scannell – Sculpture
  • Manzaar Rzayeva – Photography
  • Halle Rudloff – Film
  • Ellie Belcher – Sculpture/weaving
  • Rija Arshad – Ceramics

Silver Key Winners

• Ally Adams – Painting
  • Noah Hernandez – Painting
  • Manzar Rzayeva – Photography
  • Hanna Thorp – Ceramics

Honorable Mention

• Gaby Maldonado – Photography
  • KuMo – Comic Art
  • Manzar Rzayeva – Photography

Halle Rudloff entered a film titled Beauty is Change is Growth. This short film is an American Visions Nominee. You can view this film here.

To get involved you must be a student, grade 7-12, at a public, private, or home-school students in the U.S., Canada, or American schools abroad. The Scholastic Awards are judged without knowledge the writer or artist, meaning it is done by blind judging. Submissions cannot have any personal information on them.

There are no limits on topics and no work will be disqualified Scholastic Awards because of the nature of its content. To see a whole list of category descriptions, you can click here.

All artwork from this year will be displayed at SKyPAC throughout the month of February.