New Teacher Has a Passion For Math and Helping Students

By Hailey Welson, Reporter

At the beginning of this semester, Greenwood welcomed a new teacher to its staff. Mr. David Charles Morrison the Third, known as Mr. Morrison, is a math teacher here who teaches geometry and pre-calculus to students. He taught at North Hardin High School in the start of the 2017-2018 school year, and two years prior to that, at Warren Central.

Mr. Morrison has always had a passion for math. He liked to help out his friends in their math classes. He thought that he would have done something in the medical field–an x-ray technician or something similar –but after taking a few classes about the subject, he lost interest. In his senior year, he decided that he really needed to think about what he wanted to do for the rest of his life. Math was his passion, and he came to the conclusion of being a math teacher.

“I decided–oh yeah, decent at math, like helping people with math, let’s go for that and see where it goes,” he says, laughing.

He has been teaching high school for eight years, 2018 being his ninth. “You know, like I said, it’s had its ups and downs, and sometimes it depends on the classes and their make-up…but overall I’ve had some really good students over the years and that’s what’s made them worth it. Yeah, there’s been a few students who try to make it a struggle, but most of them have been pretty good.”

Throughout his whole teaching career, it’s been quite a ride. Although, on the topic of transitioning to a new school, Mr. Morrison notes that Greenwood has been living up to all of its expectations.

“The student body is awesome, the staff has been welcoming…so it’s been a breath of fresh air for me. It’s been a long time since I’ve had mostly all good classes and not have to do a lot of, you know, redirectioning to try to get students to do their work, so that’s been really awesome. I’ve had great classes at other high schools, but these classes here have been really top-notch.”

An oft-quoted axiom says, “If you do what you love, you’ll never have to work a day in your life.”  The saying goes well with Mr. Morrison and his career. He loves what he does and will continue to do it for a long time.