Students Demand Action

By Carly Miller

The time has come for students to take their lives into their own hands.  It has been almost 20 years since the Columbine Shooting took place, and our Congressmen have done very little to protect our students.  

The victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shooting call for a march on the capital, demanding action be taken on gun control.  The students ask that on March 24, every major city hold a march led by students demanding that lawmakers start taking action to prevent gun violence.  The main march will take place in Washington, D.C., but everyone is encouraged to participate no matter where they are.  Students aren’t the only ones who can participate in the march; anyone who wants to participate can.

Celebrities like Justin Bieber, Amy Schumer, Julianne Moore, Hayley Williams (Paramore), Alyssa Milano, and Idina Menzel have shown their support for the students and their march.

The march was announced on February 18, 2018, by Cameron Kasky, Emma Gonzalez, David Hogg, Alex Wind, and Jaclyn Corin.  All of these students have lived through a terrifying experience that killed 17 of their classmates and teachers.  The purpose of the march is to inspire Congress to start making laws that provide stricter gun control.  It will also be a part of the #NEVERAGAIN movement, whose goal is to make Marjory Stoneman Douglas the last mass shooting ever.  

On February 19, students from Washington D.C. staged a lie-in outside of the White House to protest the lack of action on gun control laws.  The founders of the Women’s March have planned a walk-out on March 14 at 10 a.m. for 17 minutes. All teachers and students are encouraged to take part in the walk-out.  There is another national school walk out on April 20, where students are called to walk out at 10 a.m., and peacefully protest outside the school for the remainder of the day.

Students should be encouraged to participate in the march and the walk-outs.  They shouldn’t be scared of getting in trouble or being perceived as weird.  These events are meant to protest gun violence, which affects everyone.

Will you participate in the march and the walk-outs?