Everyone Loves Manzar

By Anna Scifres, Reporter

Manzar Rzayeva has recently stepped into the spotlight at Greenwood. She was on Basketball Homecoming Court, and won three different awards in the Scholastic Art competition. She’s a social media mogul and a dedicated student.  Everyone knows Manzar.

Manzar moved to the United States in July 2015. She started at Bowling Green High School but moved to Greenwood halfway through the school year. She’s originally from a small country called Azerbaijan. She had to learn English very quickly here and was almost fluent when she entered Greenwood. She can speak three other languages besides English which are Turkish, Russian, and the language of her home country, Azeri.

As aforementioned Manzar won three different Scholastic Art Awards. She won an honorable mention for her flower light bulb in printmaking, a Silver Key for her photo of Greenwood graduate Joana Sosa, and a Gold Key for her photo of Lauryn Cook. Mrs. Soule approached Manzar with the idea of entering and she just couldn’t turn down the opportunity to compete.

Manzar also won the Martin Luther King Jr. award for art with a painting of a light bulb with a Martin Luther King Jr. quote. She got really interested in art in her home country when she entered in competitions in her elementary school, winning three times out of the three years she competed. She really got into photography when she started her Instagram account dedicated to books and taking pictures of them. Manzar was motivated to improve her photography skills so that she could become reps (representatives) for different publishers and bookstores. 

While she is known for her art and photography, Manzar loves to read and blog. She keeps up a book review blog and an original photography blog. She started both of these fairly recently so they are not very full. She also has quite a few Instagram accounts. Manzar has a book review and photography account, lostpagesofbook; a spam account, lookingforspam; and a main account, itsmanzar. On lostpagesofbook she has quite a massive following. She is a rep for many publishers and bookstores and often receives publisher copies of new books coming out for her to review and post about.

Besides being this involved on her own time, Manzar is involved in many school activities like academic team, science club, and yearbook. She’s got her work cut out for her along with applying and getting ready for college at WKU. There are no doubts that Manzar will continue to succeed in everything she does.