Greenwood Takes on Barren County

By Carly Miller, Sports Editor

The Barren County Trojans journeyed to Warren County on Tuesday, January 30, to play against the Greenwood Gators.  This two teams would meet for the 29th time to battle for the win.  The boy’s team had not defeated the Trojans in four years and had lost a total of 13 games to them at the time.

Per usual, the girls tipped first.  Starting players for the Greenwood Gators included Riley Hartis, Abbie Turley, Jacqueline Jackson, Megan Une, and Carly Miller.  This would be the girls eighth game in the span of two weeks.  They put up a valiant effort, but they were defeated 33-51.  The Trojanettes were lead by McKenzie England, who put up 15 points and seven rebounds.  

The boys tipped next.  Starting players included Jack Roberts, Luke Littrell, Noah Nash, Ben Carroll, and Isaac Stansbury. Coming into this game the Gators had a three-game win streak, while the Trojans had a six-game win streak.  The Trojans would go on to their seventh win, defeating the Gators 48-61.  Ben Carroll led the Gators with a total of 16 points, while Will Bandy and Garrett Arterburn led the Trojans with 13 points each.

The Gators will be back in action on Friday, February 2, hosting South Warren.  Between games, four former students will be inducted into the Greenwood Hall of Fame.