The Kentucky Derby: First Hand Account

By Maggie Gholston, Reporter

As most of you know, the Kentucky Derby is coming up this weekend and many students in Greenwood are getting excited and are busy preparing.

Junior Avery Witcher went to the derby just last year. Here is a quick summary of her experience;

Avery’s favorite part of the derby was getting all dressed up and getting to wear a big floppy hat. She also said that it takes some preparation before going to the derby. You will of course, have to make sure to get tickets. Avery attended the derby with a friend, Grayson Reynolds. Grayson had gotten her tickets 6 months before the time of the derby. They were sitting in a box right at the edge of the track, up against the railing. She also had to go out and buy her hat and dress. Most women at the derby wear cocktail-type dresses. Avery says that the atmosphere was amazing. “Everyone was really nice”, Avery says. She also told me that she has heard that their lemonade is really good. Another exciting part of the derby besides the derby itself was getting to see a few UK basketball players at the horse races. She even got a picture with Devin Booker. Some tips from the derby are to sneak in some food because the food there is very expensive. Be careful not to spend all of your money. Avery bet on a few of the races that took place before the derby as well as the actual derby. She was sad to say that she did not win and probably ended up losing more money than she won. Also, be prepared for rain. Bring ponchos. Last year, during the playing of “My Old Kentucky Home” it began to pour down rain. Last, wear/bring comfortable shoes because there is a lot of walking involved. Avery also expressed that, “if you ever get the opportunity to go to the derby then do it because it will be one of the best experiences of your life.”

Bonus Tip:

• These items are not allowed at the derby: purses larger than 12 inches, coolers, cans, cameras with detachable lenses, outside alcohol, backpacks, and umbrellas.
  • Make sure to bring in all the items that you will need because re-entry is prohibited
  • The infield is more of a rowdier place to sit. It is more known at the “party” seating