Privacy Issues

By Helena Ysasaga, Reporter

Currently right now there was an order given to Apple to unlock an iPhone of one of their customers. Well that customer is one of the gunmen for the San Bernardino’s shooting that killed 14 people in total. There is such a conflict going on because Apple does not want to invade the privacy of their customers. In this case I believe that Apple should unlock the iPhone of the gunman. The F.B.I. wanted the help from the company but they are resisting to do so. A California judge as well made it a court order, they still have not done any measure to go into the iPhone. The F.B.I. still have not been able to go into the phone. Many people believe that Apple should of opened it for them because there could be more information to know about the shooting on the iPhone. But as well, people are praising Apple that they have consideration for their own customers privacy

and don’t want any part in invading it, that the government is dwelling too much into this. Read more about it here.

I understand that everything that people try to do, do it for the sake of safety so there shouldn’t be a problem and all. But sometimes people believe thats not whats really going on and believe that they are just trying to invade our privacy and get into our business. At times people believe that sometimes it just shows that how America is becoming more public about things now.

In my opinion to this topic I believe that they mostly do it for our safety, and I also sometimes agree with the things that security, police, and the government do and sometimes don’t. It really depends on the situation if they are taking it too far in a somewhat small situation. Our safety plays a big role in this topic because if they didn’t take these measures that they did now, and we wouldn’t have the mind-set of being safe at all times.

I have asked a couple of students what their opinion on this topic is and here are some responses that I have received. “I think the government should always take precautions.” from Chris French and another response from another student, who doesn’t want to be named, “The government always goes overboard on everything they do, they should back off a bit. So as you can see I got 2 totally different responses from 2 different students. One believes that the way things are now are fine but another believes that they push it to the limit.

I just believe that there is a fine line between safety and a problem with it going too far. There is a lot of conflict about it and people can go on and on about this topic, but really it’s just an opinion to me you can’t really make the government say “We always take things to the extremes.” It just doesn’t work that way.