Taking Opportunities

By Bailey Lambert, Reporter

The amount of opportunities anyone can take in a lifetime is unidentifiable. However, many people decide to “play it safe” and not take any chances. What is the point of being alive and not living your life to the maximum amount of potential?

The real question is not whether life exists after death. The real question is whether you are alive before death.”

— Osho

Many people claim that they are fearful of the possible consequences after taking an opportunity. Osho, a spiritual teacher in India, says, “Life begins where fear ends.” 

You can live your life how you want to.”

— Ashley Hamlet

Ashley Hamlet, a freshman and a self-identified non-risk taker, says that the quote is accurate. “Once you get rid of your fears, you don’t have anything to worry about. You can live your life how you want to.”

Ashley Patkovic, a freshman, says she isn’t a risk taker because she fears failure. “I’m the type of person who fears failure, so I stick to my comfort zone,” Patkovic explains.

Payton Salvador mentioned, “You never know what will come out of taking a risk, and I don’t like repetition, it gets boring.” Taking risks changes the planned course of life. If you never take a chance, like admitting you like someone or going skydiving, your life can get repetitive. However, there are limits. Most people will stop taking risks once it means that they could be harmed or in danger. Payton said, “I’m not trying to die anytime soon.

People also say that they think too much about the risk, and it psychs them out. They end up not taking the risk and eventually they regret it. Mckenzie Eversoll mentions, “ I second guess myself. I think ‘Am I being an idiot, or is this the right decision?’” Unfortunately, many people also have the same thoughts and they miss a great opportunity. “

Life begins where fear ends.”

— Osho

Mckenzie stated, “Taking a risk is a massive learning opportunity as well.” Not taking opportunities, means missing out on good information and knowledge. You learn gain valuable information that can teach life lessons, or make you change the way you view the world.

I’m not trying to die anytime soon.”

— Payton Salvador

Taking opportunities should be a part of life for anyone. Start off small, tell people how you feel about them, ride that massive roller coaster you’re terrified of, or go try a new food. Don’t forget, “Go big or go home.” Huge risks are exhilarating and even more fun than smaller ones.

“The real question is not whether life exists after death. The real question is whether you are alive before death.” – Osho