Join Stage Crew for Greenwood’s Production of ‘Little Mermaid’

By Paris Carlson, Reporter

As advertised all over the school, this year Greenwood will be putting on the musical The Little Mermaid. This doesn’t come across as something to take part in for a lot of people, due to a large sum of students who aren’t interested in music, or acting. Even though you may not be able to act, sing, sing or dance, there is still a spot that may be an option for you. The stage crew for any production is vital to putting on the best show possible. Without the crew, the musical wouldn’t exactly be possible. Here are some of the positions to take that may lead you to joining the musical family:

Forms can be picked up at the bulletin board outside Mrs. Osborne’s choir room.

Stage Manager – 1 person

Works in tandem with the Director in rehearsal, recording the blocking and seeing that cast members stay on script, have necessary props, and follow the staging. As the lighting, sound and set change cues are developed, the stage manager meticulously records the timing of each as it relates to the script and other aspects of the performance.

All notes are maintained in a prompt book which contains all cues, technical notes, blocking and other information pertinent to the show. During the show, the Stage Manager essentially takes control, calling the cues for all transitions, as well as being responsible for communication between the director, actors and backstage crew.

Assistant Stage Manager – 1 person

The Assistant Stage Manager is responsible for keeping track of cast members, sets and miscellaneous details during rehearsals and production of a stage performance as directed by the Stage Manager. They also attend all rehearsals and assist the Stage Manager in any assignments given.

Costume Crew: 2 people

Assists the Costume Designer(s) with all aspects of costuming the show. This may involve cleaning and organizing in the costume storage area, assisting with moving costumes in and out of the storage area for each show, assisting with distribution of costume pieces and return of costume pieces from the actors, ensuring that all costume pieces are accounted for and in good working order at the end of each show, assisting actors with any required quick changes either on or near the stage and any other costume related needs of the show.

Make-up Crew: 10-15 people

Assists Makeup Designer(s) with all aspects of makeup and hair for the show. Duties may include applying make-up, styling hair, assisting with keeping the make-up area and application tools clean and in good working order, assisting with any make-up and or hair/wig changes during the show and any other make-up related needs of the show.

Publicity Crew: 2 people

Works with the Director and production team. Designs, makes, copies, distributes, posts all advertising materials for the show including programs, posters, flyers, shirts, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Construction: 2+ Parents

Works with set design team to create the shows various scenes. Uses power tools to build, and assemble all scene elements of the set (i.e. Flats [walls], platforms, doors etc.), and props.

Property Master: 1 person

Build, make, or acquire any needed props for the production. During performances, the Prop Master is in charge of the prop tables, making sure they are organized and all props are accounted for and in working order. Must check all props at the beginning of call-time and after every performance.

Backstage Crew: 15+ people

Is responsible for the safety of the backstage area during all performances. Cleans stage at start of call-time and is responsible for all set changes during the course of a performance or rehearsal. Returns set to “pre-show” setting after every performance.

House Manager: 1 person

Is responsible for everything in front of the stage. Makes sure that the house is ready before any audience members arrive. Organizes the ushers to pass out programs, collect tickets and make sure that the house always remains safe (i.e. aisles must remain a minimum of 4 feet wide and be clear at all times) and provides assistance to any audience members with wheelchairs. Generally responsible for a pleasant experience before, during, and after the show.

Usher: 4+ people

Reports to the House Manager at the beginning of call-time. Assists with passing out programs, collecting tickets and maintaining a safe environment in the house. Following every performance, works with House Manager to pick up trash, recyclables and any programs left behind that can be reused at a future performance.