Who Is Lana Del Rey?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Who Is Lana Del Rey?

By Dahlia Muthanna, Reporter

Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, professionally known by her stage name, Lana Del Rey, was born on June 21,1985 and is known for her emotional pop music.

As a young teenager, she had a problem with drinking. At the time, she was attending a Catholic school but her parents sent her to Kent School, a boarding school in Connecticut, and by the age of eighteen Del Rey was completely sober.

Instead of attending college right away, she went to live with her aunt and uncle. Her uncle taught her how to play guitar. Although she was enrolled in Fordham University were she studied philosophy, she was always focused on music.

Del Rey started her career at open mic nights and was at the time still using the name Lizzy Grant. In 2006, she entered into a songwriting competition. She didn’t win, but one of the judges helped her create a demo, and she received $10,000 and used that money to move to a trailer park in New Jersey.

When her first major album, Born to Die, came out in 2012, she was trying to find a new name that would suit her. Del Rey teased names such as Sparkle Rope Jump Queen and May Jailer before settling on the name Lana Del Rey.

While living in London she produced the song ‘Video Games’ which soon became a viral hit. The success of this song brought on new opportunities. She modeled for H&M and the Mulberry signature handbag – “The Del Rey”- was created for her.

In 2014, Del Rey went to the Palace of Versailles to sing at the pre-wedding dinner for Kim Kardashian West and Kanye West. Some of the songs she sung were”Young and Beautiful” and “Summertime Sadness.”

Del Rey sang the song “Once Upon A Dream” for the movie Maleficent (2014) and her song “Young and Beautiful” was used in The Great Gatsby (2013).

In 2014, Del Rey’s album “Ultraviolence” was released and debut at No. 1 on Billboard 200. It featured songs like ‘Pretty When You Cry,’ ‘Sad Girl’ and ‘West Coast’. It was also certified as platinum. In 2015, her album Honeymoon came out and it reached No. 2 on Billboard 200 and reached No.1 in Australia and Ireland.

In 2017, Del Rey’s album “Lust For Life” was released. This was the first album that featured guest artists like, The Weeknd on ‘Lust For Life,’ and Stevie Nicks on ‘Beautiful People Beautiful Problems.’ This album also reached No. 1 on Billboard 200.

Del Rey’s songs are mostly about Hollywood glamour, money and youth and are all able to connect you to America’s nostalgic past.  

Dahlia Muthanna, reporter

I am a freshman at Greenwood High School. I enjoy reading and art. I am excited to learn new things in journalism.