A Midsummer Night’s Dream

By Chanlar Mann, Reporter

Everyone knows about the great musicals Greenwood puts on every year, but this year Greenwood is also going to put on Shakespeare’s classic A Midsummer Night’s Dream.  The play deals with the universal theme of love and its complications:  lust, disappointment, confusion and marriage.  

The plot focuses on three parallel stories:  the trials and experiences of two sets of lovers camping in a magical forest, the world of the Fairy King and Queen and their elves, and a group of rough craftsmen attempting to stage a production of “Pyramus and Thisby” for the wedding of the Duke of Athens.  

Mrs. Cassady’s vision of A Midsummer Night’s Dream will be set in the U.S. during the 1960’s.  The whole set and costume design will focus on these themes.  In the rendition, the faeries will be nature-loving, free flowing “hippie” type characters.  The four lovers attend “Athens” High School.  Think peace signs and flower children.

Auditions will be Monday, August 31st, and Wednesday, September 3rd.  If you would like to audition, sign-up sheets as well as informational packets about the play are posted by Mrs. Cassady’s door (room 156).  Mrs. Cassady is not only looking for actors and actresses to perform in the play, but people to be backstage roles as well.  If you would like, you can come see the play on the following dates:  Thursday, November 5th at 6:00 p.m., and Friday, November 6th at 7:00.