Teacher in Florida drowns animals in class

By Parker Hughson, Reporter

An agriculture teacher in Florida allegedly drowned two raccoons and an opossum at Forest High School in Ocala.

Dewie Brewton, who teaches at the school, was placed on administrative leave with pay and removed from his position.

“We received statements that the teacher drowned multiple animals in front of students, and with student participation, because the animals were nuisances to the ag program at the school,” spokesman Kevin Christian said.

One of his students who were around when it happened came home crying after the raccoons were drowned and the opossum was later killed. The animals were believed to have eaten chickens raised by the class.

“It made me sick,” the mother said. “It made me sick to my stomach. It’s terrible. It still does make me sick to my stomach.”

Footage recorded by the student shows a raccoon inside a metal cage placed inside a garbage bin that was filled with water.

“Regardless of whether the animals killed the chickens raised by the class, Brewton had no business killing them,” she said, “I don’t think that’s the way to treat any animal, they should have trapped the animal and had somebody take them and relocate the animals.”

A spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said an investigation is active to determine if criminal charges are needed in the incident. The results will then be presented to the state attorney’s office, WKMG reports.

Some of Brewton’s former students, meanwhile, have defended him as a teacher, as he has “gone above and beyond his call of duty” to help.

“He has spent late nights, weekends and has provided around the clock support for his club and for his school,” a post on the Forest High School FFA Alumni page reads. “He is a man of faith and has always provided the wisdom and guidance needed for his students to succeed.”

The group said it was behind Brewton and asked for everyone involved to focus on what he has done to help his students.

“The media is going to make this situation escalate to lengths that are unnecessary and we must stand together and focus on the facts,” the post says. “We must show our support for him in this time of need and show that we are one.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Teacher in Florida drowns animals in class”

1. Sylwka on May 19th, 2018 9:22 pm

Thanks a lot for the article post.Much thanks again. Fantastic.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.